1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it wrong for me to just be sick of the T.O. story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigugly, Sep 27, 2006.

1. bigugly

bigugly Member

I realize all the journalist being unbiased crap but are any of you tired of covering this? Sorry but I really think that the public is as sick of it as we are. Now it has been on the TV all day and I know that I don't want to cover it anymore? Discuss please.

2. tommyp

tommyp Member

I'm not in sports right now, but if I'm tired of reading, watching, and hearing about it, I would think, yes, I'd be tired of covering it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Me, too. It's been going on for all of 14 hours or so.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

To be sick of the story is wrong. To be sick of the way the story has been played is right.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I can't help but be. I've heard this cop's press conference about 10 times already on the TV over my head in the newsroom.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're sick of it now, just wait until next week before the Cowboys head to Philly...

7. I'm really glad that T.O. is going to be in Philly, where the fans - who are traditionally good sports who enjoy fair competition - will give him a warm and cordial reception. They will welcome back a fallen former teammate with open arms and pump him up when he needs it most.

Now where is that sarcasm font button???

8. For a while it was on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNNEWS. One channel and a crawl on the others is enough.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Today sports journalism reached another new low. What a disgrace. The story is only being played as big as it is because ESPN has spent the last five years trying to make this egotistical, loud mouth idiot into a folk hero, even have gone so far as portraying him as some sort of sympathetic figure. It is pathetic. The message is clear -- the bigger jerk you are the bigger we'll make you into a superstar.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, Zagoshe, I hate this story, too, but when it starts with a police report saying a prominent athlete might have taken 35 pills, I'm not sure how it was possible for the ESPN networks or anybody else to back off of it, at least for a while.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Don't forget Colin Cowherd scrapping his entire morning show and turning it over to All TO Radio.

ESPN's obsession with him is at once fascinating and appalling. Perhaps someone can correct me on this, but I go back to the early, Tom Mees/Australian Rules Football/Gayle Gardner/George Grande days of ESPN and I can't remember the Worldwide ever latching onto an athlete in stalker fashion like this.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I am not arguing that it is a story.

But when a story like this receives the same treatment as say, 9/11, as in round the clock, pre-empt everything else, let's talk to everyone and anyone who claims to have knowledge, let's bring in medical experts, let's talk to cops and robbers --- it is asinine.

Contrary to what ESPN would like us to think -- the overwhelming majority of people outside of Dallas and perhaps Philadelphia couldn't give a rat's ass about Terrell Owens. He is a receiver with a big mouth.

Case in point -- we have two sports talk radio stations here,including an ESPN affiliate and the amazing thing is, since the Dan Patrick show went off,I haven't heard word one about Terrell Owens, other than during the newscasts -not from a host, not from a caller. Nobody here is talking about it -- the reason - NOBODY HERE CARES.

If the topic were as relevant nationally as ESPN wants to make it out to be, you'd think it would generate more than, well, silence, on the local talk shows. In today's rating's driven world of talk radio, trust me, if anyone cared this subject would be beaten into the ground.

Draft saved Draft deleted