1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it worth trying to get stringer assignments for the SB?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Jan 21, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The way news orgs are going though - maybe a paper decides to save on airfare, meals and lodging by giving its credential to a stringer. Nothing surprises me in this biz anymore.

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Ahh, I understand.

Oh well, maybe next time it's on the West coast.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

When I was doing junior hockey, I know the Memorial Cup credential packages used to come out with an option of asking for credentials only if a certain team(s) made it to the tournament. I would guess the NFL might have a similar setup.

For the Super Bowl, I'm not sure I see the market. Most of the locals for teams involved have people there, and everyone seems to have wire or chain contacts. They're also able to write some things off a television feed. I just don't know if it would pay off.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

My friend, there may be an opening for YOU!

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/51912/

Start making calls, my friend.

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Here you go GBNF don't say I never gave you anything.
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/51921/

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The league consults with the participating teams to make sure all of their regular beats guys are accommodated even if they didn't apply for credentials.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they can be dramatically less accommodating for credentials for sidebar writers, spotters, quote runners, etc etc.

The Super Bowl is one of the toughest credentials in the world.

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

You're correct in that respect. I was referring more to situations where a paper travels full-time with a team but wouldn't go to a Super Bowl unless their team was there. Those full-time writers always get taken care of even if they don't apply for credentials by the deadline.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The short answer. No.

If you go through the proper channels and meet all of the deadlines, you'd be stunned at some of the places who can get credentials for the Super Bowl... I know of student papers being credentialed and that's without having a local team there... But you have to do it the right way...

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not much of a good reason for a student paper to cover the Super Bowl. All that would do was make some SE there think they are an effin' stud who deserves a major metro gig right after graduating.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, that happened at the Titans-Rams Super Bowl several years back... I remember at the Ravens-Giants Super Bowl, there was someone there from Florida State's student paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted