1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it worth trying to get stringer assignments for the SB?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Jan 21, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

When I was in college, I tried to get a credential, but was quickly rebuffed. I don't know if the situation has changed, but is it worth trying to get freelance gigs for a game you're not sure you'll be able to attend?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd try to get a credential confirmation before you start whoring yourself out, though that might be pretty difficult in itself.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I should try and get a credential with nothing lined up, or line stuff up without a credential...

Chicken or the egg?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, I'm not an SE anymore so it doesn't matter. But I wouldn't hire you without a credential.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Moddy,

If I were to contact the SB credentialing department, wouldn't they tell me I needed a paper first, too? This is tough.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Hasn't that deadline already passed?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You need the SB to give you a letter saying you will have a credential with an assignment from a qualifying publication. With that, you have a shot. Without that, I wouldn't look at you.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A classic case.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

the credential deadline would have been last month at least

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

What about for the Giants? How were they to have been expected to be in the SB? Am I just missing something here?

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I think papers often put in for credentials regardless if they think their team will make it.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

From the SB Web site.

Draft saved Draft deleted