1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OgCritty, May 29, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And you're an Internet message-board troll who failed at life.

Somehow, I'd rather be us.

2. jr/shotglass

And Write, that's the best answer of all.

3. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Literally anyone can get a book published. This is not proof that you are a failure or otherwise.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The last few years have amply proven anyone can be published in a newspaper.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this too. The funny thing is working in finance for a decade might be the best way, since with diligent savings you could in effect self-finance a career switch later. I've often thought that is one way I could get back into journalism -- hit semi-retirement and find somewhere that I could write once a week, on whatever/wherever I wanted, at a low price to whatever outlet would take it.

6. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Financially, yes it's rough. My first job paid $22,000. Then I moved to another paper that paid $23,900. Lost that job and a year after being told I was a "failure," I end up working within McClatchy (an upgrade from a senile old man who refuses to have any web presence for the newspaper) and make just above $30,000. Eventually, if I do my job right, I can advance and move up to a higher-paying salary.

The reason so many people are negative about the journalism industry is the fact that so many jobs are cut and basically one job posting may get anywhere from 100 to 1,000 applications. If you work hard and you throw enough spaghetti at the wall, something is going to stick. Now granted my "enthusiastic" and optimistic view is a bit based on my religious beliefs. Everything works out for those who are trusting in their fate.

In the end, those of us who are in it want to do it. I'm speaking as a parent of three and is the only income in the family. It's where I've been led to and if God's willing, will be where I move to a bit higher salary that will get us out of debt.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A whole lot of survivorship bias going on ITT

8. It's not worth it if you have to question yourself at the age of 22. At this point, you need to examine the approach. How does your resume, cover letter, and clips look? How are you in interviews? What skills do you possess besides writing?

9. jr/shotglass

Ah, fuck it. It'd be like pelting a 37-pound 9-year-old with a kickball.

10. If you want to be like shotglass and contribute nothing to journalism, go ahead and stay in it for 30 years. You, too, can be as ignorant of the world as he is.

Maybe, though, you can accomplish everything he has by drawing the best darn boxes you can possibly draw and write the best-ever cross-country brief.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He sure does know his tee-vee though.

Draft saved Draft deleted