1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. The situation:
    Prep heavy market where Hicktown High is looking for a football coach.
    Do we request the list of applicants?
    If so and they say no, do we FOIA them for the list?
    Finally, do we print the list of applicants so all our readers know who applied (keep in mind this for a high school football program)?

Do your papers have a policy on this?

2. Why wouldn't it be worth it? Never hurts to have as much info as possible, even if you don't run it.

As far as foi, it depends what state you're in.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago, the Dallas Morning News ran a list of the applicants for the head coaching job at Southlake Carroll. It was a pretty interesting read, especially considering I don't have a dog in the hunt and couldn't care less who SLC hires.

4. I am pretty sure in Oklahoma, applicants is actually not an open record (that's what I remember from college, anyway). You can get the resume of anyone who is hired, but they are not required to give up those who aren't hired.
    Obviously that would change from state to state.

5. subhead

subhead Member

I doubt a FOI would get something like that in high school, but if you have an on-the-record source in the know to confirm the sources, absolutely run it. Run what you know, candidates, search committee, interview dates, timeline passed and timeline remaining.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

In my state, they're required to release the names of three finalists. Most places get around that by having more than three. Which leaves you to staking out the BOE office and working your contacts. You can try the FOI, but I wouldn't rely on it as a sole means of getting the information.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is pretty standard. The thinking is, anyone can apply. But, here are the people we are considering for the position. Seems fair if this were practiced like it was intended.

Draft saved Draft deleted