1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it worth it? Marriage/job question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Magnum, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

The best to you, Magnum, during the coming weeks and months. Always says a lot about this board when one of us can raise a serious question such as this and receive a couple dozen heartfelt and on-point responses.

(Oh, and thank goodness for understanding wives [or husbands or partners], who put up with this crazy business. Already had The Talk once with Ms. Bobcat, who will be Mrs. Bobcat next summer. But no move followed, and besides, we're young and without children, pets or too many worries. Sounds like you have a bit more at the table there, M. Sounds like you have a good support crew, too.)

2. KG

KG Active Member

I agree with that, as well as most of the other suggestions on this thread. Lady Magnum has been supportive before, which is good. I'm assuming with her work status not being affected she either works from home or is a stay at home mom (which really is a lot of work too). But that may mean more of the financial dependency is on Magnum, which makes both his salary and career happiness that much more important. I'm not saying it trumps family happiness, but it is a key factor.

Something I thought of though is that relocation for work, especially if for a dream job, is common in any business, not just journalism. Maybe 20 or 30 years ago someone could start working for a good company right out of school and stay their for their entire career, but it's just not like that anymore. Because times have changed so much, more and more people have to uproot their families for a better job no matter what their career may be.

I also understand the post about wondering if there would be resentment if the job was offered but not taken if Lady Magnum wasn't OK with moving. I was uprooted (and not even for a great job) by the reason for the G when I was entirely too young to understand the effects of moving away from everyone I knew, to live in a place where I neither knew anyone or anything about the area. I was fully supportive, despite the fact that the abrupt change was difficult for me at first. Fast forward to now, when I've had to pass on several opportunities to go forth with my career, because Mr.G isn't supportive. I realize now that there's more to it than just not wanting to move, but after even the first few times of getting my idea hopes shot down, I did start to feel a little bit of resentment.

Obviously Magnum's situation is different, but there understandable feelings on both sides.

3. boots

boots New Member

This is a case of worrying about nothing. No job has been offered. The advice has been solid but here's the situation: There's an opportunity, he's considering about going for it, he has trepidations. That's it. There's nothing really concrete to worry about, in my opininon.

4. KG

KG Active Member

Actually, when you are married you have to worry about these types of things long before a job is even offered. You have to have to have support as if the job were yours before you even apply. It's very understandable concern to have, but there's no need to let worry settle in too much until after an offer has been made.

5. boots

boots New Member

KG, I see your point. Been down the road a time or two. I know about being prepared for situations. I applaud Magnum for putting his situation out for the public to talk about.
    I just think he's worrying too much. It's great that he's got the support. It appears that his wife is on board with the move to apply. Now, he has to toss his hat in the ring and see what happens. That's all I'm saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted