1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it worth it? Marriage/job question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Magnum, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good advice.

let us know how it works out.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'll echo the TALK TO HER first sentiment.

You shouldn't even consider not talking to her.

Good luck.

3. boots

boots New Member

The problem with communicators is that they don't communicate. Talk with the wife, see how she feels. If you feel that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, one that eventually could benefit the family, go for it.
    Looking at a job is one thing. Getting the job and securing it is an entirely different thing.
    You have to take steps and the first one is talking with her. The next is applying. Hopefully after that, you'll get an interview and then the job.
    After that is when the real work comes in. Moving, finding housing, schools for th kids, etc.
    Right now, you are worrying about nothing. You'll have a difficult decision IF you get the job.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Magnum, what's her employment situation like? Would it be easy for her to get another job in her field, if she is working?

Things like that, to me, matter more than the family implications. Generally, you can hop on a flight somewhere and be there in a couple hours, as long as you don't have to fly through Atlanta or O'Hare. But don't put her in a situation where she has no chance of independence, either, and can't find a decent gig, if that is what she desires.

5. Gandhi's priority list:

1. My wife, my family
    2. My golf game
    3. My wife, my family
    4. My golf game

Honorable Mention: My career

Work to live, Don't live to Work

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If she loves you, she'll let you interview and seriously consider the job.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is wonderful, pointed advice.
    Boots, you ok? ;)

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Of course, talk. But I'm not a fan of ruling out a dream job before an interview or an offer either. My wife and I have had these discussions seemingly a million times, with all the hypotheticals of one of us landing a great job in an imperfect place and what the other one would do, etc. We've finally come to the conclusion that we'll let the job process run its course and when an offer's on the table, then we *really* talk. That saves a lot of energy and trouble, and in the meantime you don't have to deny one another the chance to explore something.

9. Magnum

Magnum Member

Here's the update:

We talked this morning. She's fine with me applying. No problem at all.

That's why I think Playthrough is on the money. It's not real yet so it's hard to have a real talk with real consequences. The key is she's being supportive and we'll see where everything falls.

She said her only concern is schools for the kids, which is my concern as well. Moving won't affect her employment status.

I don't think I'm being selfish about looking elsewhere, especially if it means more money, etc. We both like where we are but I'd be lying if I said we had roots here. We would, however, more than double the drive to her parents house, which would be about a day's drive.

I still hear about moving her away from her family in the first place - and that was a necessity, not a whim.

10. Magnum

Magnum Member

Oh, by the way, thank you everyone for offering advice. I really appreciate it.

11. If her ONLY concern is schools for the kids, then I think you have a great shot. Make sure she’s being completely honest with herself when she says that.

School is something that can be worked around. Your wife’s happiness cannot.

12. Great wives and family situations are much harder to find that good jobs.

If you have it all, be thankful.

Draft saved Draft deleted