1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it worth it anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Mar 18, 2009.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And whatever you do, do not, under any circumstance, listen to someone who calls you a "sellout" when you do get your open door out of the business. Show me a guy who's bitching about someone selling out and I'll show you someone that usually is envious of that person.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's still worth it to me, and for me.

I would agree with Waylon that it's quite preferable not to live your life for the job.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree, BYM, though I would almost say that word is dead in our profession. Yesterday's "sellout" is now just a lucky bastard who got out while the getting was good.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Actually, that's about equals the top I made in newspapers. As for what the actual work is like, I have no idea.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True dat. And judging from other threads on these boards, the current trends are salaries going DOWN, not up.

6. Hellboy

Hellboy Guest

Can a sports journalist actually sell out?

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Doing this job is sort of like staying in a marriage that is drifting away "for the kid's sake."

You've accepted and understand there will be more misery than there used to be and it won't ever be like it was before but you hope that it produces enough happy moments throughout each month to remind you why you got into in the first place.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

In recent days I've begun to compare this job to like being in an abusive marriage. The business keeps going all Chris Brown on me, and I know it's better for my health if I leave ... but I've just got nowhere else to go.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Problem is, those happy moments are just scarce enough to remind you that they're dwindling and that the rest of the time, this business bears little resemblance to what you got into in the first place.

It's like letting you eat one salted peanut, then taking the can away for a month or so, at which point you get to eat one more.

10. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I'm a college baseball player, and the same way things are tanking in newspapers, my career tanked once I got into college. It was depressing, I still struggle more days than I'd like. But I had to learn just this -- get into something other than what you've lived for for so long.

Good thoughts, Waylon.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm going to repeat what I've said a lot of times on this board.

There are many of us who desperately want out who are getting little to no joy out of what we are doing anymore.

Two problems:
    1. Jobs aren't there in other industries.
    2. Too many journalists believe "well, this is the only thing I know how to do."

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's often a pretty fierce struggle against loneliness in this job. The offices are emptier. The people you like have left. There are fewer comrades out on the road with you. Couple this with the fact that this job does severely hamper your social and personal life and it often feels like it's not worth it.

That's the part that really gets to me the most (well, that and the pay). I can deal with and adapt to all the other bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted