1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it unethical to....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by johnnychoice, Feb 5, 2007.

1. johnnychoice

johnnychoice New Member

Is it unethical to date someone on a team you are covering?

I don't cover too much softball, volleyball or for that matter any womens sports anymore but, I oftened wondered this when I was.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. If that is your beat.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Yes. It's good practice for when you really want to date a co-worker but you should not.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Definitely a no-no.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

As is often the case with ethics: If you have to ask, it's probably wrong.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

It's OK to drill her, though.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I heard SC saying that last night. 8)

Seriously, though, I agree with the above that covering someone you date is a big no-no.

Let me play Devil's advocate here, though. What if you were breaking big stories (we're talking big scoops, lots of good info, whatever) because of that connection? The main reason it would seem to be unethical is that it could (and probably would) cloud your judgment of the team you're covering. But what if dating someone on that team actually made you a better reporter?

Also, hypothetically, what if you were dating someone you didn't cover, and later were assigned to that beat?

I would think if you told your editor you were dating Sally McSpikermeier of the volleyball team that he/she wouldn't assign you to that beat or move you off it.

How dating about someone you used to cover?

Someone you used to cover doesn't seem to be a problem (in fact, one of the AD's who used to work in my area was a former journo and wound up marrying a girl he used to cover when she was in HS after she moved back to town when she graduated college. They've been together something like 45 years). It seems a little weird, but I don't think there's anything unethical about it.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

You should probably wait until she finishes middle school, depending on the laws in the state where she lives.

10. bigpern23

:X :D

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Stop lying, Pern! You know you made me quote all of Leia's lines last night :D

Dating somebody you used to cover isn't unethical. It might raise eyebrows in some circles, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

12. bigpern23

"Help me Big Pern. You're my only hope for an orgasm."

It was pretty hot when you said, "I don't know who you are or where you've come from, but from now on you'll do as I say, okay?" I like a strong woman.

It hurt, though, when I took my shirt off and you said, "Would someone get this walking carpet out of my way."

TMI?

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted