1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it true? Remembering Jim Healy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jul 22, 2019.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I know there are a lot of SoCal natives and expats on here who probably grew up listening to Jim Healy. He died 25 years ago today and LAT did a remembrance.

Column: Remembering sports radio's freewheeling Jim Healy, who never let listeners get bored

I was buddies in college with the son of Dave McClelland, an auto racing broadcast legend who would fill in with a straight sportscast the days Healy was off. I told my friend I didn't listen those night and later was introduced to his dad with "This is MTM, he turns off the radio whenever you host."

Vombatus likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It started at 5:30 p.m. sharp, and was supposed to end at 5:45. It rarely did, thankfully.

It never ended at 5:45.

3. poindexter

I couldn't get enough of this show, starting about 1987. It wasn't for everyone. I played it for my roommates, and they were like, WTF?

That one laugh (who was that?) was played way too much.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It rarely ended before "the dreaded 6 o'clock tone."

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Uhh, yeah ...

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

25 years. Damn. It was appointment listening and was awesome. His son was a longtime reporter at Channel 4. I don't know if he's still there.

Here are many of the sound bytes he would play. Lasorda was a frequent target.

Jim Healy Tribute Site

7. MileHigh

Some other goodies, including his final show.

poindexter likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

Can you imagine what his show would be like today with all of the horses dying at Santa Anita? He was huge into horse racing. For a time, he also did local TV news. He would always have a clip of the day's feature race. He would show himself lifting his binoculars, then show some hottie in the crowd through his binoculars, they raise up to the horses on the track.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. MileHigh

The flag is up.

Yeah, he was big on boxing and horse racing, but that's the era he came up in. He ravaged Lasorda and Georgia to no end. He took lots of shots at Chick, Cossel, and Silver Tip Stu, and loved the World Champion.

10. MileHigh

And sorry I posted what I did before reading Hoffarth's piece, though he got Olden's question wrong. It was, "What's your opinion of Kingman's performance?" not "What did you think of Kingman’s performance?”

Starts here at 1:20, with no bleeps.

11. poindexter

If he ripped on Chickie Baby, it was only small stuff. You could tell he had a profound respect for Chick Hearn, and Vin.

I forgot how much he ripped on Silver Tipped Stu. And that USC announcer ("Oh Mercy Nurse!")

12. ChrisLong

Tom Kelly.

Draft saved Draft deleted