1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it too late for Alexander Hamilton to identify as female?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What a bizarre way of doing this. Decide who you want, and then announce that you're replacing Hamilton with X - a real name. Now it's just so transparent. Reminds me of Clinton's search for an AG.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Should be a stripper on it.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I was at a convenience store today, trying to buy $10 worth of lottery tickets. I had only two singles on me. I told them my singles identified as fivers. They wouldn't go for it.

Fucking bigots.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dick wins the grand prize trip to Happy Valley.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Caitlyn Jenner

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What's the prize for second place? Two trips?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He was right in his time.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a problem of stripping all politicians off of currency in favor of Americans who contributed to our country's history without benefit of public office.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm going to put my support behind Kristy Swanson. But the picture needs to be from The Program or The Chase, sometime after Buffy the Vampire Slayer but before Higher Learning. That's peak Swanson.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The reasoning is dumb:

News that the U.S. Treasury Department would be replacing Alexander Hamilton on the $10 bill with a woman left many wondering why Andrew Jackson's face on the $20 bill wasn't being replaced instead. But Treasury Secretary Jack Lew says there's a straightforward explanation.

The $10 bill is currently scheduled for a redesign, and creating new currency is a painstaking process that takes years to plan and complete.

The $10 is the first in a planned new series of redesigned notes, Lew said on a press call Wednesday. It's a process that began before he took office, he said, and that he has been discussing with the Treasury since the beginning of his tenure in 2013. The new bill won't be unveiled until 2020.

It is a "happy coincidence" that the timing of the decision occurred soon after outside, private campaigns to push for replacing Jackson with a woman, he said.

Hamilton will remain on the $10 in some fashion, according to the Treasury, either on a separate $10 also added to circulation at the same time as the one featuring a woman, or as an image somewhere on the bill featuring the woman.

And it has to be the $10 that is changed.

"We have to do them sequentially, and it has to be based on security first," Lew said. The bills will include new anti-counterfeiting properties, as well as new tactile features to aid the blind.

Why Hamilton, not Andrew Jackson, is being replaced by a woman on U.S. currency | WashingtonExaminer.com

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Alexander Hamilton was not a president.

/TheWire S1 E1

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Coolest bill featuring a non-president:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted