1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it too early for a 2016 NFL draft thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 31, 2015.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Smith might be a middle-of-the-road QB, but he had a fucked-up deal with the ever-changing coaches and offensive coordinators he endured in San Francisco. And he's a huge upgrade over what the Chiefs threw out there for years. The last decent quarterback the Chiefs had was Trent Green, and he last played for them in 2006.

The list of notables between Green and Smith are: Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen, Matt Cassell, Tyler Palko, Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn. That's a whole lot of suck.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Agent Leigh Steinberg says Paxton Lynch 'looks like a franchise quarterback to me'

"He looks like a franchise quarterback to me. He’s got those same characteristics. And then it will just come down to individual team choice and who falls in love."

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1. I guess I can change the thread title now ...

2. As LTL noted earlier, there was a time in the 1990s Leigh Steinberg represented just about every big-name quarterback in the NFL other than maybe Dan Marino and John Elway (who were both represented by Marvin Demoff). Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff George, Warren Moon, Kerry Collins, Jake Plummer, Ken O'Brien, Mark Brunell and Jim Harbaugh all were Steinberg clients.

Quarterbacks - Steinberg Sports & Entertainment

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If Goff drops past the Browns, he won't drop past the 49ers. Psych, Jerry.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Elliott β€” "I didn't know my driver's license was suspended." β€” obviously is ready for the next level.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I was going to do a deal for a qb - I'd go after Kaepernick, RGIII, someone who has had a modicum of success in the league. They already know what works and what doesn't. Drafting a quarterback in the first round doesn't make them a franchise quarterback. Your skill-set is your skill-set.
    On a related note, I think the NFL teams really need to develop offenses that don't require a franchise quarterback to operate. There are only so many top-tier QBs, it makes no sense developing an elaborate offense, if it is dependent on having something you might not have on the roster.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It goes back way beyond 2006.
    The last quarterback the Chiefs drafted that led them in passing yardage for a season was Steve Fuller in 1980.
    Since 1987, when the Todd Blackledge era ended, the Chiefs have had one quarterback that they drafted -- Brodie Croyle -- start a game for them.
    They've had some decent quarterbacks, even a few really good ones, but for whatever reason it is not an organization that believes in developing the position.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Dude, Kaepernick and RG3 are NEVER going to be anything close to the flashes they once upon a time demonstrated. A franchise would be insane to hitch its wagon on either of them as anything more than a possibly capable backup.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

RGIII has Bambi's legs and Kaepernick has Bambi's brain

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you mortgage your team for them, just that if your options are spending a first rounder on the QBs coming out next year or a third-round pick (or less) on someone like Kaepernick or RGIII - your better value play is the latter.

11. Mr. Sunshine

You don't have to give QBs huge money anymore, so the value discussion is no longer relevant when it comes to provably bad players.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd put a little more faith in Kaepernick's future, but neither of those guys knows how to play quarterback at the most basic level.

RGIII's fundamental flaws have been noted. As for the 49ers, they improved noticeably when they switched to Blaine Gabbert.

Draft saved Draft deleted