1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it time to get rid of cheerleaders and ice girls?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 23, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

But they actually have a role to fulfill.
    [/quote]

Do they? Really?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Do they? Really?
    [/quote]

Beltway insiders have to start somewhere.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do they? Really?
    [/quote]

I don't know. I suppose it depends on the high school, and on the individual elected. But at least it is intended as a position with some responsibilities attached to it, for which certain qualities that schools rightfully encourage as part of their mission would be required. Plus, at least those elections are co-ed.

Homecoming king and queen is a bald popularity contest that aspires to be nothing more than that. The school condones an election in which the students vote for who is the prettiest girl and the most popular boy. That's staggering.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And furthermore, stop voting for "Most Likely To Succeed" in the school yearbook! Every child succeeds in his or her own way!

5. MisterCreosote

If anything, they should stop having people vote for a "class clown." That's what I was named. It's quite a thing to aspire to.

6. MisterCreosote

So?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It seems to me that schools should be promoting a mission of social inclusion, not cooperating in social hierarchy sorting. It also seems to me that schools should not be assisting in the promotion of the message, to girls, in particular, that being pretty is what's most important. This isn't just about the two winners, but the whole notion of the homecoming "court." Basically, the school is sponsoring an election to name the 10 coolest of the cool kids.

8. MisterCreosote

Homecoming revolves around the football team. Should we stop that because it's school-sanctioned exclusion of those who aren't the biggest, strongest and fastest?

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If there were no homecoming court, then we would lose this (from my kids' school):

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. MisterCreosote

I'm thinking it's possible that, even without homecoming "festivities," 99.9 percent of high school boys and girls would still want to be considered attractive and popular.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The biggest problem I have with homecoming is that the over-the-top "promposal" is now being done for the homecoming dance.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hell, my high school got rid of the homecoming king and queen in about 1970, before I even got there. They did keep the 'homecoming court' but expanded it so much -- to about 40 people per class -- that nobody paid any particular attention to who did or didn't make it. (I did as a senior, woohoo, but mainly because of my GF.)

The kings and queens are always all the same Biffs and Buffys who get their asses kissed for everything else every other day of the school year.

Draft saved Draft deleted