1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it time to get rid of cheerleaders and ice girls?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I had an MMA bout on the other night, and the ring card girl comes strutting out, holding "Round 2" over her head.

My wife asks me "So why do they have those women do that? It's a three round fight, they can't keep track?"

"What percentage of that audience is male?"

"Probably 95%."

"Men love to look at pretty girls, especially if they are scantily clad."

She sighs, nods, end of discussion. It's pretty much a universal truth.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Okay, so that is five or six a year. And my numbers were wrong, its an employee base of 2,016.

Even one is too many, but we'll agree to disagree what the #1 problem with the league was.

Listening to Tirico last night, quarter by quarter, its like a frigging triage ward as injuries piled up during the game.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'd also get rid of homecoming court at high schools. I went to a high school game Friday night and they had it. It felt like such an anachronism. I can't believe schools still sponsor and validate that kind of sheer popularity contest. Disgusting, actually.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're awesome.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

People should never be allowed to feel attractive or good about themselves, ever.

6. Dick Whitman

In what universe is it compatible with a high school's mission to support a sheer popularity contest that is, in large part, a beauty contest?

7. LongTimeListener

Only hot chicks need to feel shame. The brainy ones can feel good.

8. MisterCreosote

Student government is a popularity contest, too.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Dick Whitman

But they actually have a role to fulfill. Homecoming or prom king and queen is just a straight-up, no-pretext selection of the most popular/prettiest girl and boy in school. It's corrosive nonsense. If kids want to sort themselves into social castes, it's tough to stop them. But schools shouldn't be encouraging it. They should be trying to counsel against it.

11. LongTimeListener

If they didn't have a homecoming queen, none of the boys would know who to think about when they masturbate.

12. MisterCreosote

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted