1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it time to get rid of cheerleaders and ice girls?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Last night, fans booed the Philadelphia Flyers new male ice clearers, after the organization eliminated ice girls in the offseason based upon a Mother Jones story about their mistreatment:

http://deadspin.com/flyers-fans-boo-ice-guys-for-not-being-ice-girls-1638061731

I have to say, watching NFL game sthe last couple of weeks, it's cringe-worthy to see scantily clad hunks of girl meat jumping around on the sidelines in light of the domestic violence firestorm.

Time to put cheerleading out to pasture, I think, particularly the pro sports version where they dress like hookers.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whatevs, man.

People like it. That's what is forgotten here -- the small shrill minority is in fact a small minority.

The Sharks just added women to make it a co-ed ice removal team or some shit, and you would think they just sacrificed SJ Sharkie at center ice for all the outrage. There's such an image of how liberal and progressive the place is, but in reality men like to look at chicks. Reminded me of when the Hooters opened out here -- the protesters were really doing damage because the people standing in line to get in had to move around them.

3. Dick Whitman

They do. And I do.

But when your league is under fire for not respecting women, I think parading around women as sex objects is a pretty bad message to send.

Prediction: NFL cheerleaders, as we today know them, are around for 3-5 more years, tops. We will look back with horror in 10-15 years at them as an embarrassing relic of another time.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm with Dick on this one.

Seems to me the Bears and Steelers and Lions and Browns and Packers and Giants draw just fine without the use of underpaid strippers on the sidelines.

The Bills, OTOH, might could use them.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

One has very little to do with the other.

You could take cheerleaders away, or put them out there naked, and neither would move the needle one millimeter when it comes to the league's real problem.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Look at all the enlightenment having a co-ed cheerleading squad brought to the Baltimore Ravens.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The league's real problems are the officiating and injuries. Not four guys in an employee base of 1,800 knocking around their wives.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Four guys? Really?

As to the cheerleaders, remember when the Rams cheerleaders were known as the "Embraceable Ewes"?

Bad on so many levels...

9. LongTimeListener

I hope someone does a study of the crossover population between:

A) women who enjoy attending professional sporting events

and

B) women who are outraged and disgusted by the presence of cheerleaders

I'd bet the percentage of the population that fits those descriptions begins after the decimal point, or at most one digit before.

10. Dick Whitman

Eighty-five arrests for it since 2000.

11. Dick Whitman

I know one for sure.

12. LongTimeListener

I have no doubt of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted