1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it starting at CNHI?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kato, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep. Sounds like it'll be a typical suit reaction. Don't listen to what the employee has to say and think that just maybe, he has some merit. Just criticize and complain, and then get mad when the employee has a response, and decide to punish him.

Keep us posted, Colton. Good luck.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Damn. Hope for the best there.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What a fucking fucking asshole.
    Colton, what you did is as Chris Farley said in that movie was "AWESOME!"
    You didn't say how they or your coworkers reacted to your awesome mini-rant.
    Good job telling those fucks what they never wanted to hear.
    God I'm so mad right now I'm shaking.

Good job. You did what I hope I have the balls to do when this happens at our place!
    You rock!
    If you are fired, too fucking bad ... for your company.
    You stood up to the fucks. Congrats, sir.

-- and they pull your file? What is this, old communism??? All those things you did for the company, buying equipment, etc., freezing with no heat and they pull your file? What total human pieces of shit those management types are in this case!

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

We have five people in our newsroom (myself, SE, features writer, news writer, photo editor). Another news guy quit after a week to take a position in another town and it was never filled. We've just been told to stay the course.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I know someone who's not getting a discount on greens fees along the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail ...

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Working for Burger King might be a step up from working for CNHI.

Good on ya, Colton.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Thanks for all the kind words, gang... please don't misconstrue what happened as being anything ballsy, etc... I just reacted.

As for the reactions of my co-workers, none of them knew what to say... and I don't blame them. There was a very uncomfortable silence.

I've made it to the weekend without hearing anything, so I guess no news is good news.

Know what? I'm not going to worry about it anymore. If they want to "restructure" me, so be it. As Judge Smails said, "The world needs ditch diggers, too!"

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Of course don't worry about it.
    You did what was right, sir. You did.
    Like Petty said your other option was to shut up and just apply for other jobs. That works, too.
    But I truly respect you for what you did.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I made about $5,000 more a year as an assistant manager at a BK when I took some time off between HS and college than my wife did working for a CNHI paper three years later.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you Colton. And good on you for sticking up to them.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Colton, they're gonna really punish you. They're going to make you publisher and make you do the layoffs.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

On that note, I would make more in retail full time (non-management position) than at my CNHI place.

Draft saved Draft deleted