1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it real or is it 'Homeland'? American missing in Iran was secret CIA plant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 12, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/missing-american-iran-was-working-cia

And it is not Nicholas Brody.

Robert Levinson, a "retired FBI agent," went to a resort island in Iran in 2007 and never came home. The U.S. government held to its story that he was a private citizen, but in reality he was sent there by a team of analysts with no authority to run spy operations. (Sound familiar?) When the shit hit the fan, three analysts lost their jobs and the government paid the family $2.5 million to pre-empt a lawsuit.

The AP first confirmed Levinson's CIA ties in 2010 and continued reporting to uncover more details. It agreed three times to delay publishing the story because the U.S. government said it was pursuing promising leads to get him home.

The AP is reporting the story now because, nearly seven years after his disappearance, those efforts have repeatedly come up empty. The government has not received any sign of life in nearly three years. Top U.S. officials, meanwhile, say his captors almost certainly already know about his CIA association.

I tell ya, we may have to reconsider our comments on the "Homeland" thread about how nofuckinway would the CIA be doing anything like that.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This guy really got fucked over by his government. It doesn't sound like either administration did anything to find him, or secure his release.

3. YankeeFan

I'm confused by this line in the Washington Post story:

U.S. intelligence officials concede that if he is alive, Levinson, who would be 65, probably would have told his captors about his work for the CIA, as he was likely subjected to harsh interrogation.

http://wapo.st/1daGxRS

Everyone knows that harsh interrogation doesn't work, and does nothing to elicit the truth out of someone.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Considering how the guy was run by the Company, I wouldn't be surprised if he told all of his own accord with no interrogation required.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wonder if he even knew he was in there without support. I can't imagine the CIA gives out the yellow copy of the authorization receipt.

6. YankeeFan

He probably should have know that a CIA analyst was really authorized to send him to Iran.

He should have been dealing with someone in the Clandestine Services for something like that.

Maybe he felt safe, because Kish Island is a free trade zone, and is treated differently than the rest of Iran, so it wasn't like he was on a spy mission to Tehran. But still, you're going into a hostile country, with no support.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted