1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it proper to use the term "overcame deafness?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Apr 27, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Partially deaf?

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I guess that would work. I don't mind "hearing impaired" either, personally.

It is a challenge dealing with hearing loss, and I guess the case can be made that it is a handicap depending on the severity of the loss. In certain situations it is a handicap, but not in all situations.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What makes you think you know what a handicap is?
    A deaf person is not handicapped.
    A deaf person is deaf.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Jesus. The deaf are a tough crowd.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Then I better not find any deaf people parking in handicapped spots at the mall.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I didn't know there was an official list of everything that is or is not a handicap. I am thinking quite literally here. If you have some sort of physical malady that prevents you from doing everything most people can (ie, handicaps you) then you have a handicap. Call it whatever you want. It's a handicap.

Sign language is awesome, but I've yet to see a person be able to "sign" a car honking, or a bird chirping, or an orchestra playing.

If you are deaf, God bless you, you can do a lot independently. Don't get me wrong. But it's difficult to get the entire life experience.

I'm not slamming them, or anything like that. God no. But there's a reason you hardly ever hear anybody say, "Damn it, I wish I were deaf."

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

The Deaf culture refers to that as being hard of hearing.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The definition of the word and a grasp of the English language.

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Even if you are completely deaf in one ear and losing hearing in the other as you age?

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

http://dictionary.reference.com/dic?q=deaf&search=search

Let me know where the word handicapped appears in this dictionary entry.
    Maybe you ought to open your horizons and you might learn something.

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Yes, depending on the level of hearing that is still left. To the Deaf culture, there are three types of people: hearing, hard of hearing and deaf.

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

What level is deaf?

Draft saved Draft deleted