1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it proper to use the term "overcame deafness?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Apr 27, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'd be more worried about "achieved success."

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

"Achieved success" was never in the story. I used that in the opening comment as shorthand for the woman's top accomplishment.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Was she, by any chance, given the First Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence?

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You did it right. This line would have been a disaster. Those who are deaf DO NOT consider it a handicap. The "despite" might have offended.
    Deaf is the correct word for a hearing impaired person; however they are proud of being deaf. It is not a handicap.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What about overcoming the deaf?

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Really? They don't consider it a handicap? Even so, it is. I'm all for being sensitive and PC, but (in the parlance of the athletes I cover) it is what it is. You are deaf. It is a handicap.

I mean, an amputee can be proud of being an amputee. It doesn't make him less handicapped.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Would having a cochlear implant be considered overcoming deafness?

You can hear, but you're still deaf.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've heard that as some forms of deafness can be cured, many in the deaf community consider those who get cured to be sellouts. But that may be sensationalized.

Then there was that whole big row a few years ago about the president of a deaf university not being deaf from birth, or something.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

turd

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes I'm serious. Deaf individuals don't consider themselves handicapped in the least. They don't like "hearing impaired" or any of that. They are deaf.
    Read a little about it. It doesn't take long on any ASL page.
    Just because you can't hear doesn't mean you are handicapped. There is sign language which is an awesome language. If I was better at it, I'd love a career as an interpreter.
    You can't claim it's a handicap just because you think it is one. I don't think PC has much to do with this one.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. Sorry.

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

What would a person with a 50-60% hearing loss be called?

Draft saved Draft deleted