1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it proper to use the term "overcame deafness?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Because our night copy desk figures to be of little help on this one, is it proper to write that someone "overcame deafness," to achieve success in her field?

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I'm now leaning to, "despite being deaf since she was 18 months old." Is that better or worse?

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I can't hear you.

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

"Overcame the challenge of being hearing impaired since.."

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Are the person's other senses enhanced to superhuman levels?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Better.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

That's fine.

8. Still seems wordy.

Overcame a hearing impairment ...

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Mr. X, was it neurosensory hearing loss? If so, there can be other factors such as vertigo, balance disorders and motion sickness to deal with. Not in all cases, but some.

10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I ended up rewriting the lede, taking out a phrase before explaining the award the person is receiving, which is the reason for the story.

The second and third paragraphs were about the award ceremony, which are required by the editors. In the fourth paragraph, I wrote that the woman lost all hearing in her right ear and 80 percent of the hearing in her left ear at the age of 18 months because of roseola infantum.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seems like you did it right.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I would advise being cautious about "despite" in this case. Lacking all the information, I don't know whether this is true, but it's possible that her deafness in fact pushed her toward whatever it is she's being honored for.

Draft saved Draft deleted