1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible that Dale Jr. just isn't an elite NASCAR driver?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, May 29, 2009.

1. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I'll say this for Junior and I'll say it for Kyle Petty as well; the class with which they handled the deaths of people they loved is far more meaningful to me than anything they could do on the track. Any sportsman can be courageous and fight through adversity. When your sport kills your kin and you soldier on, hell, you get a thousand times more credit from me than the quarterback battling though a knee injury.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Earnhardt finished fifth in 2004, with the new chase format.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Right. But he was still slightly further back points-wise than was Petty, who was also fifth in '92 and didn't have the benefit of a points "reset" with 10 races to go that year.

Junior was third on one occasion prior to the Chase but even further back in terms of number of points behind the champion.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I am the most casual of NASCAR fans, but this thread made me wonder. If every driver was given an identical car for an entire season, is there any consensus as to which drivers would be battling for the championship?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Jeremy Mayfield, Scott Riggs and Joe Nemechek. :D

Seriously, though ... Tony Stewart's in that group. Like his idol A.J. Foyt, he can win in about anything he can wedge his chubby self into. Jeff Gordon's also that type of driver. Mark Martin. Martin Truex Jr. Juan Montoya. Carl Edwards' Giant White Teeth. Mike Skinner. (Yes, I said that. There's a reason teams keep asking him to help them out.) Kyle Busch. Matt Kenseth.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'd say Stewart, Gordon, Johnson (if he had Knaus, because he could make it unidentical in a heartbeat), Martin (Mark, not Truex), Kyle Busch.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

In my world, probably Stewart, Shrub, Juan Pablo, Martin and Gordon.

I'm not convinced Carl's more than a great set of abs and John Elway's teeth ;)

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sxy will not be pleased. :D

Pity there's no more IROC to settle things.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Stewart and Earnhardt the elder are probably the two gutsiest drivers I've seen in person.

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Hey Junior, Mama knew best.
    Or should we say Stepmama?

11. lono

lono Active Member

The above responses are proof positive that Jimmie Johnson is the most underappreciated/under respected driver of his era and maybe ever.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Not to mention that his wife may be one of the biggest hotties in sports spouses.

Draft saved Draft deleted