1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to be a campaign manager for a friend?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedSmithClone, Nov 12, 2007.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I have been asked by a friend in my hometown if I would be his campaign manager next time around - he lost by 300-plus votes in his first time ever running against two incumbent city councilors.

I work in another state, and cover high school sports. My current employer doesn't even come close to touching my hometown, aside from maybe a New England brief if something big happens - so say once in a blue moon.

Is it OK, ethically, for me to accept this offer?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No. You just can't predict what might happen in the course of the campaign that could turn around and bite you in the ass.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'd vote no, just cause politics and journalism don't mix well.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I vote yes. If it gets exposed, you'll be a national icon: The Republican who works at a newspaper. Right? Liberal media? All that?

5. Dodgy at best. I'd pass, unless you're intrigued by the possibility of a career change.
    Of course, in the bigtime Beltway world, this happens all the time and nobody bats an eye.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure your friend would love for his campaign manager to be in a different state. Are you planning on moving back there?

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I would say not to do it, but if you want to talk with folks who get paid to think about these matters, check out Poynter's ethics page. I've also dropped e-mails directly to folks on their staff, too.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My thinking exactly.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No. Not ever.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

No, it's unethical.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

No I live in this town. It's my hometown. I work 30 miles away in another state.
    I also cover sports and sports alone. Never touch the news-side or politics.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Don't do it unless you're prepared to leave the business. I mean, if this is a deal where it's a big city and you'll be his CoS or something, that's one thing, but if you intend to remain at your paper, no.

Draft saved Draft deleted