1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It "No Problem" That "You're Welcome" Is Disappearing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Up in Canuckistan you hear "no worries" quite a bit.

The "UH HUH" I hear mostly when I am in Florida and while I am not a huge fan, at least it is some acknowledgement of thanks.

I do some work in Spanish speaking countries and every now and then bust out "con mucho gusto" (with my pleasure) instead of "de nada". It has gotten some puzzled looks but is mostly a hit.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's not a problem for me. Actually, I saw "not a problem" quite a bit. I'm going to go with that one, Pat. And I'd like to buy a vowel.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dyno is flipping right now.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/29986/

I say no problem, but it always kills me when I do. It's a subconscious thing. But I also say "thank you" to a fault when I'm being waited on. Refill my water glass? "Thank you so much." Deliver my food to my table? "Thank you!" Bring me my check? "Thank you so much."

I don't expect a "you're welcome" for those things, but I do expect it for things when I go out of my way. If I hold a door open for you, not just stick my arm out behind me but actually stand outside and hold the door open for you, say thank you. Common decency.

4. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

If the person you say "No problem" to doesn't know much about French or Spanish and the origins of language, they might feel a little differently about it. I know an elderly man who doesn't like it one bit. He says, "I didn't think it was a problem when I thanked you, but by you saying "No problem,' now I think maybe you might really think it's a problem. Is it?" He's a bit crusty.

What I think is funny is how most people have no problem with certain language changes, but others drive them up a wall. You can see it on threads about certain phrases and words. It's all personal choice, but say that to someone and they'll pull out a dictionary and tell you no, it's not. It's not -- unless it's a word they like. Then, the rules change. As does the language.

I say "You're welcome." I think it's more polite, but I don't know any other languages.

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

My first thought upon seeing the thread title ... where is our humble servant anyhow?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Anything which passes for courtesy these days ... I'll take it.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You know, the metric system will be here any minute. They told me in school. In 1976.

8. imjustagirl

Man, you are OLD! They told you that before I was even BORN!!! (assuming they told you before March)

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I use both. Or fuck off. Whatever works.

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

This sounds exactly like my grandfather. If you say 'no problem' to him, he'll always respond with something like, "Well, I hope it wouldn't be a problem," and makes you feel sort of guilty. There does seem to be a shade of difference between No Problem and You're Welcome, just in terms of eagerness to do the favor.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Ha! Thank you, IJAG, for remembering my rant on the lack of thank yous in my world.

12. imjustagirl

I have no idea why I remembered that, but I did. And it pointed out JR's point that "no problem" used to drive him nutso but now he's resigned to it, two years later.

Draft saved Draft deleted