1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micke77, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

If I used a clipboard, I would do the same, and probably also have some plastic sheet protectors to put on top of any notes/stats to help keep them dry when it's not turned over.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

How'd you get so smart, Jeremy?

3. Jeremy Goodwin

I wish I knew and could take credit. I learned a few of the tricks from coworkers, then tried some other ideas on my own.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

My high school XC/track coach can also take some credit. I remember him putting his stopwatch in a newspaper plastic bad during rainy meets. I only remember this because he would always joke that it was a condom for his watch. He seemed like the least likely person to make the analogy since he was a religion teacher and was once training to become a brother / monk.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've got one and three for sure. I'm wedded to Sharpie's, so not so much on No. 2, but I can understand it.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

Jeremy...good question about me not being prepared for rain when I've got everything else in line...guess it's one of those deals where the rain games are so sporadic in our area during football season that I just don't think about it.
    but good suggestion on what you do. thanks.

7. micke77

micke77 Member

Oh, meant to add.
    Somebody I think earlier mentioned about that new digital-recording pen where you have to have special paper for it and all...
    Well, our news editor got one couple of months ago.
    Yesterday, he goes out to cover a meeting and damn if he didn't lose the estimated $200 pen....even posted an ad in the paper for the "Lost and Found" section. he's in a fucking bad mood today because of it, too. for 200 bucks or so, I guess so.
    me. I'll stick to my Uniballs.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Did he have to pay for the "Lost and Found" ad?

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That was my first thought when I read about the $200 pen -- what happens when you lose it?

Someone mentioned Sharpies. Always keep one or two in your bag. Those things will write through anything. It might be sloppy, but it's the ultimate backup.

10. micke77

micke77 Member

Jeremy....even in these tough economic times, he didn't have to pay for "Lost and Found" ad, incredibly.

Slasher....yep, was thinking same thing when I saw the ad for that digital pen: what if you lose it?

Sharpies ARE good and have saved me as a backup, but yep, the bleed through can be a pain.

I got on a kick for a while with the old Bic pens..would buy those packages of black, blue and red ones at the dollar stores....then I found the Uniballs and it's pretty much been my pen of choice of late.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I lose pens like nobody's business, so I'm not super picky about 'em. Yes, I think really cool ones are awesome, and sometimes I'll buy a sweet one to keep at home -- never to leave my desk -- but I have a box of the clicky bic pens I bought two years ago. I've only lost a couple and I have plenty more left ... cheap, easy and it doesn't break my heart if I lose one.

12. micke77

micke77 Member

for a few months, i actually used one of those Fisher pens. you know, the kind they claim the astronauts used on the moon to get some autographs from the Moon Men because it writes upside, downside and every which way but loose.
    but it was so freakin' small and, with the smooth silver bullet-like shell, could be lost easily.
    so, again, it's back to the Uniballs...

speaking about the original thread we posted concerning DNA's of journalists and in regards to that No. 2 about liking to go to Office Depot, Staples, etc., there's a great company called Levenger's which sends out catalogs that are packed with pens, notepads, notebooks, etc.
    tad bit expensive for much of it, but every now and then they'll run sales and you can find some neat stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted