1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it just me or are today's younger journalists lazy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigugly, Dec 14, 2006.

1. bigugly

bigugly Member

I am not old. 40 to be exact, I guess to some of you that may be old. Anyways, I have no issues with my employees moving up and I am even willing to help them. The old good karma thing. Anyways I am exasperated with trying to help them and they act as if I owe them something. I am disgusted with what appears to be the modern sense of entitlement?

Is it just me or do you people who are in director and management roles also endure this? To be franks it just makes me not want to help anymore. I had a one-hour talk with another news organization that wanted to hire me and I recommended one of my staff. When I communicated to the staff member and told them what to send to the interested employer, I got corrected? I said what? Why are you correcting me and told them to forget it that I was not going to help them anymore.

My point is that I don't think many bosses (I never had one) try to help people advance and it has been nothing but a pain to me with this one and others.

Please give me your feedback.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Ugly,

I'm old. I think a lot of my contemporaries are lazy. I don't think I invented the work ethic tho'. My father does, but I don't. (The sound you here is a father-son issue festering.)

YHS, etc

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Troll BigUgly,

There's a poster on here named Hondo. You two would make great friends.

4. Blog Is My Co-Pilot

Blog Is My Co-Pilot New Member

All generalizations are false, including this one.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They could throw puppies off the bridge together.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Co-Pilot,

I've always said that there are two kinds of people: Those who divide everyone into two groups of people and those who don't.

YHS, etc

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

bigugly,

you are absolutely correct. They all suck.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've always said there are two kinds of people: those who think there are two kinds of people and those who don't.

9. "It was hell," recalls former child.

10. statrat

statrat Member

Is it just me, or does bigugly not know how to use question marks? To me he sounds less like someone who is 40, and more like one of those young people who phrase every statement as though it is a question???

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think I hope bigugly doesn't write for publication anywhere.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You said you were corrected. Were you wrong? If so, then you don't have much of a reason to be miffed.

And I don't see anything wrong with an employee at a smaller paper looking to his/her boss for help moving up. It seems to me that at a stepping stone paper, the boss should understand their employees are looking to take the next step and facilitate that anyway they can. It only reflects well on said boss and helps to land the next "effin stud."

Draft saved Draft deleted