1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it illegal to be on salary unless you have at least two direct reports?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Columbo, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I had heard this Friday.

If so, at least one company I know of would potentially be in big trouble.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Huh? Please elaborate, L.T.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Reports? Reporters? Yes, please clarify.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Columbo is trying to say you're supposed to hourly unless you're the boss of two people.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Depends on the state, I believe.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Depends on the job, too. Columnists or some type of "senior reporter" can be on salary. They may not supervise anyone but are considered experts and in some cases technically may have to provide guidance or training to others.

7. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

This is yet another labor law commonly violated by the newspaper industry.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would say it's a gray area that newspapers fight hard to maintain.

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I would think it depends on the state. As far as I know, here in Ontario, it is perfectly legal to pay any employee on a salary wage, so long as that salary still constitutes minimum hourly wage or higher.

10. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

That's not the case in Florida, and I suspect that's the case across the country as well. Employers can pay anyone an annual salary for any position, whether they're a supervisor or not.

11. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

Wrong, I looked into this about five years ago. To be salaried at a daily newspaper, the employee most supervise at least two employees, be under contract, be a columnist or senior writer or work for a paper with a circulation of under 3,000.

And the kicker is it's illegal to force any hourly employee to work over 40 hours a week.

12. Specifically at newspapers? If so, why? I've never heard of that in any of the northeast states I've worked in.

In other businesses, I don't know anyone other than computer programming consultants who are hourly employees - and they are considered contractors anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted