1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Hillary, or just a woman thing?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dragonfly, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

March 3!

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When you get right down to it, women have two weapons... cosmetics and tears.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Respectfully disagree, but this is a topic that would require a separate website.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It would have been OK to disrespectfully disagree. I was going for the reaction.

It's a line from a song, by the way... A man and woman going "yin/yang" with spoken words...

It's preceded by the woman saying, "Men who have pierced ears are better prepared for marriage. They’ve experienced pain, and have bought jewelry."

She follows it by saying, "I’m a perfect house keeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house."

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It reminds me of Bob Dole in 1996. Dole lost the election, went on Letterman shortly afterward and was so damn funny I felt like calling his handlers and yelling "WHY DIDN'T YOU LET THIS SIDE OF DOLE SHOW IN PUBLIC?" You see different sides of a candidate like Gore and go "where was this on the trail?"

I would love to see a woman president in my lifetime. Just not Hillary.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

So let me get this straight: Now the United States isn't ready for a female president because we're a democracy?

Fucking hell. Will the misogyny ever end?

(It's OK to not like Hillary. It's not OK to take down all female leaders in one broad swoop because of some idiot's science experiment.)

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Huh?

She's losing to Obama because of his youth, oratory skills and enthusiasm. None of those have to do with HRC being a woman.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. Hell the state of Kansas has produced two female politicians that probably could win my vote for president -- Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and former Senator Nancy Kassebaum -- and one is a democrat and one is a republican. I'm not a political junkie so there are probably more women out there I would support if they ran that I'm just not aware of.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Clinton has a shot only because she's a woman who was cheated on.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I also noticed this line from the Dowd column:

"It’s not yet clear which prejudice will infect the presidential contest more — misogyny or racism."

So if Hillary doesn't get elected president, we're a nation of mysogonists, and if Obama doesn't get elected, we're a nation of racists?

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wonder if that applies to Alan Keyes' campaign?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

We are definitely both, but more pronouncedly the former.

Draft saved Draft deleted