1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Is it ever OK to spank a child?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good piece here.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/07/is-it-ever-okay-to-spank-a-child/278174/

Spanking might scare children into stopping a behavior, but it does not get them to think rationally or want to cooperate. It also doesn't teach people how to manage big emotions or develop conflict skills. ... To this date, twenty-nine countries around the world have banned spanking in homes and schools. Canada and the U.S. are not one of those countries.

For the record, the wife and I don't spank. It was never a debate. It's never an option. I was spanked as a child - soundly. It did far more harm than good. I don't believe in it.

Discuss.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I was spanked ... it sure taught me not to do something twice. It had no lingering affect. I thought my parents did a great job of raising me. I am not a parent yet (soon to be). My wife wants an absolutely no-spanking policy, and I'll likely go along with that. I don't really feel strongly one way or the other, but I don't think spanked kids grow up to be murderers or anything like that.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Same here. I was spanked as a kid - not often, and usually because I lied to cover up a transgression, rather than for the transgression itself - and don't feel it did me any harm.

My son is only 15 months old, but I don't foresee myself and future wife spanking him. He'll be disciplined, all right, but I don't feel like I could bring myself to spank him.

I think it's probably like anything else when it comes to parenting - what works for some, won't work for others.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, especially on that last part.

I think it can be appropriate when they are young enough that communication is still an issue, but it gets to the point that it either doesn't help or does more harm than good as they get older. My little one just turned 10 and I think she is well past the age when it would be a useful or appropriate disciplinary measure.

Or I could have just posted my initial thought when I saw the thread title. We've had some ugly discussions on this subject in the past.

Unleash the hounds!

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hell, I spanked my cat.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've never spanked mine.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I spank mine frequently.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You have a cat?

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I suppose there's absolutely no chance that we can have this conversation without extensive anecdotal evidence, right?

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Hope the link works: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=spanking&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C50&as_sdtp=

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, because anybody that claims there is only one right answer has no idea what he or she is talking about.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Even though I'm a perpetrator of the named crime here, I understand your point and largely agree with it. That said, I also am interested in hearing about people's approaches - and how they settled upon them.

Draft saved Draft deleted