1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it even possible to "move up the ladder" anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Apr 6, 2009.

1. The reason it sucks to "settle" for 35K a year is because they often leave school with six figures worth of debt. But by all means, paint all lawyers with a broad brush. More fun that way.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Oversensitive much? You read a whole lot of things there that I didn't say.

(and if you don't mind going to a less prestigious school, you can get out of school pretty much debt free)

3. Only because you put "settle" into quotation marks. Guess I probably am a little oversensitive about any whiff of class warfare that I sense on here. $35K a year isn't some grand paycheck. I have friends who barely graduated high school who make over $80K working in labor unions. I don't think someone making $35K a year after going to school for seven years is asking too much to want to get paid a little more than $35K, especially if that person is saddled with some debt. Not that the world owes anyone a McMansion or anything, but I think our idea of what constitutes a living wage is pretty damned skewed after working in journalism, where the managers act like we're asking for the world if we want to get paid more than $25K a year.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My point was less about the salary and more about the fact that there are still law jobs.

I'd rather have a low six-figure student loan debt and $35k/year than mid-double-figures and no industry left to work in.

5. When I think of "moving up the ladder" now in journalism, I think of that scene in Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, when they were fighting to stay on that bridge with the gators or crocs waiting below. It's no longer moving up the ladder but fighting to stay on the collapsed bridge.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, that's my brother's situation. Makes twice as much as I did, but after house payments, insurance and trying to pay off massive law school loans, doesn't really come out any further ahead.

And, yeah, tells me he hates his job. :(

7. Well, I can't say I feel too sorry for the house part. I mean, that's part of making more, right? Having a bigger house? The fallout is less spending money, but it's everyone's choice how they allocate that money.

I know it's chic around here to act like anyone who doesn't work in sports journalism is a miserable bastard who hates their jobs, especially lawyers, but my own brother absolutely loves his lawyer job (and hates his I do grow a little tired of hearing how much "all lawyers hate their jobs" (not just on here, but from my former editors, as well, as a pitch to stay).

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

WHAT ladder?

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It's a Stairway to Hell ...

Draft saved Draft deleted