1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it even possible to "move up the ladder" anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Great question. I don't know the answer, but I'd say, no.
    Your only bet to move up the ladder is if your paper covers pro teams and one of the guys quits and they simply move you up from your beat to cover that beat because they won't want to replace the person from outside. It's sad.

2. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

That's how is works at my shop.
    Sometimes they move someone into a beat he or she knows nothing about.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

We can safely assume that, even if you move up something resembling the old ladder in job duties, you won't be moving up the old ladder in pay and benefits.

Those are moving down the ladder. Fast.

What once was the big leagues of this business now is Triple A. All the other levels have dropped a rung or two, too, in ambition and amenities. Which means you've got to move up just to stay even. And moving up never has been harder.

Oh, I almost forgot -- good morning!

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Well, I think those of us still in journalism are trying to hang on to what we have and see what happens when the economy improves.

I feel like journalism is evolving at a rapid pace. I have no idea what it's evolving into. But something tells me a new ladder (best jobs are online?) will eventually replace the one we all used to know.

5. Waiting for Dave Kindred to show up and tell everyone that you just have to want it bad enough.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I believed that when I heard it in 1998. 11 years later, no progress.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is true.

The job/level/classification for which you are designated when you come into the business, or any new work place, is of primary importance.

It is something I didn't realize, or believe, until it was too late, because I thought, apparently naively, that I could/would/should work my way up, and I was willing to do that.

Despite a lot of good work and some significant success by many measures, however, actual truly upward mobility has been hard to come by.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I haven't known this business to allow moving up the ladder in the first place.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You're lucky to be able to remain on the ladder at all. If you're able to remain on the same rung of same ladder, you're doing better than most.

Just be advised that the ladder keeps sinking further and further into a pile of shit.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

if climbing the ladder is no longer possible that is a crying shame. :'( :'( :'(

i've been blessed to have several wonderful moments in my career, but there was no greater experience and time then when i was first a copyboy at the n.y. daily news from late '78-july '80. working nights, mondays and tuesdays off, writing pieces for various sections on the side... aspiring with several others with similar aspirations... hanging out with them and learning through osmosis, observation, and the good fortune of established reporter/columnists/editors who took an interest... well, it was really magical.

nothing like it. in many ways, the advancement of computers robbed this biz of much of its charms. also, i'd contend, hurt the development of many reporters/writers, who would be terribly exposed today without "spellchecks," delete buttons, and cut and paste functions.

this is the old fogey in me, no doubt. do i romanticize what it was like back in the day? i honestly don't think so. i thought my time "climbing the ladder" was the best time of my profesional life, in many ways. thought so as i was going through it, too, so it's not like revisionist history.

we've come a long way, baby. not so the business we've chosen or the hope we give to our aspiring journalists. it took me much longer than most to reach the point where i would not encourage anyone to reach for the stars in the newspaper biz, wanting for youngin's the same thrilling ride i've been so lucky to enjoy.

i'm at that point now. i love our biz to death but that death's knockin' at the door, i fear. :'(

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, not getting your "there/their" straight surely won't do it.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

That is terribly true. I worked for a mid-sized daily for several years; got tired of the lack of advancement and went to work for a weekly rival. About three years later, they called me to see if I wanted one of their primo beats. I guess they felt I looked better from afar than near.

Draft saved Draft deleted