1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it B-, B minus or B-minus?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fossywriter8, Jun 9, 2009.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Active Member

I'm writing a story for Sunday's paper and will need to include the grade the subject received on a project, but don't know the proper form.
    Is it B-, B minus or B-minus?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I prefer B-minus, although we have a charter school in Dallas called A+ Academy. That's what we use for it.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

same as often, just pick one and stick with it. I'm sure a lot of places do it different ways.

WE did it all sorts of different ways before settling on and sticking with B+

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You can actually Tweet questions to @APStylebook on Twitter now, and they'll officially answer your questions :D

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I would not use "B-" simply because the "-" may hardly be visible depending on the font you use.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I think we would use B-minus.
    When we refer to plus-minus in hockey, we say a player is plus-4 or minus-6.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm kind of inclined to agree with this reasoning. You also run the slight risk of having it look like it's supposed to be attached to the next word. B+ would be a lot more obvious, but B- looks a little strange. (For sake of consistency, I would also use B-plus.)

8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Active Member

I was leaning toward B-minus from the start.
    Thanks for the input.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

I use B-minus, C-plus, writing it out, with the hyphen. No way it can be misunderstood that way.

Only time I'd write "A+" or "C-" would be if it's in a chart, where it's clear it's a grade ...

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

See, I love this place, and every now and then, you get expected help above and beyond.

I sent to this Twitter account and sent them a message asking about this business of whether AP had changed its thinking on "Jones went 3-for-5" even when not modifying ("a 3-for-5 night").

I got a response, and indeed, AP HAS changed its style on 3-for-5 to use the hyphens only in modifying circumstances, and saying (well, kind of wrongfully) that that was always supposed to be the case but they're now clarifying.

I don't know about others here, but I've been reading "Jones was 3-for-5" in copy since, oh, 1977.

Draft saved Draft deleted