1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Imus the standard for media self censorship?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

What year was the rate card printed you see those prices on?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Based on recent events, yes.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Let me ask this--can someone make these statements on air today and not get fired?

Paris Hilton is an anoxeric slut.

Pam Anderson is beach blond bimbo of a whore.

Nancy Grace is a cold hearted bitch.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Masters: Advertiser flock to it because their executives want to play Augusta National

Censorship: To me, the key word in the thread title is "self." I mention this to play up the difference between government censorship, which ostensibly is prohibited by our constitution, and private censorship, which isn't prohibited by anything. As I mentioned on another thread, this situation is tethered to the Dixie Chicks situation in that the freedom of speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences. Come to think of it, Imus hasn't been censored. He is still free to speak his mind. He's just no longer being paid for it, at least by MSNBC or CBS Radio.

Is Imus the standard? Well, I think what MSNBC and CBS Radio did followed the precedent set with Jimmy the Greek. The standard had already been set.

One final thought: Jesse Jackson excoriating anyone for the denigration of women is laughable. Then again, Jesse is laughable.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They might get fired if Hilton Hotels pulls advertising ...

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

OK, I'll bite: Yes, they can. And if Imus had called Lil Kim a nappy-headed ho, he would still be working.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

TRUTH

TRUTH

TRUTH

LIE

If you can get fired for articulating the truth (National Security issues aside), on the public airwaves, the terrorists most certainly have won

Draft saved Draft deleted