1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Imus the standard for media self censorship?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I am very, very interested to see what happens when someone else slips up and says something even remotely offensive on the air.

Gay and lesbian groups could attack someone in the next week.
    Hispanic American groups could.
    Asian American groups could.
    What about the next time someone says "retard?"

Black people have an understandably long list of problems with the way things are done in this country ... but they ARE NOT the only ones. Let's see what happens next, and what kind of coverage it gets. I guess it all depends on if we've already got a topic we're sensationalizing at that moment.

Again, in closing, I do think what Imus said was terrible. But he's not the only one. What happens next?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well for a start we'll never see Blazing Saddles on the air again.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Certainly, the bar has been raised in terms of what someone can say the radio. And maybe that's not all bad.

But, I would hate to see this reaction go overboard where we end draining all the personality out of what's on the radio and talk radio becomes nothing more than emotionless readings of the day's news.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In addition to what happens next, which is why I started this thread, what about Russert? Chief of NBC's Washington Bureau and the face of NBC news as a frequent and loyal guest and promoter. Imus has been talking shit for years, does Russert do a mea culpa? David Gregory? Andrea Mitchell? Did Mo Dowd appear more than once or twice?

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I fear everyone will now turn into Bob U's sidekick from Major League. What was his name, Monty?

"Fly ball ... caught."

6. jboy

jboy Guest

If after all this Imus mess, if a radio person/broadcaster thinks twice before denigrating women or minorities, is that really such a bad thing?

They could, and they'd have a right to. Just think twice before you say something about minorities, women or any other group of people. It's not that fucking hard people.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No.
    But what if one person's denigration is anothers opinion?
    How about denigrating another public figure? Dick Cheney is a murderer.

8. And the person who said that was?

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The list is pretty long: Bob Dole, John McCain, John Kerry, Joe Lieberman, Christopher Dodd, Tim Russert, Joe Biden, Jeff Greenfield, Mike Lupica ....

10. jboy

jboy Guest

You think people are too dumb to distinguish between an opinion, insult and joke? I expect different things when I listen to a politician or Chris Rock. Sorry if this will stop everybody from telling their favorite "two black guys walk into a bar" joke.

Once again, IT'S NOT THAT HARD!

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, perpetrating stereotypes that have long been used by bigots to denigrate women and an entire race of people is exactly the same thing as someone calling an elected official a name.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Imus did more for Russert and his career than anyone. It's disgraceful that he has not come out in support.

We wait to hear from all those at the Times - Frank Rich, Tom Friedman , Mo Dowd. They were all happy to sell their books on IMUS.

Draft saved Draft deleted