1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Imus the standard for media self censorship?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Game

Set

Match

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This money argument is especially true when you consider the AMAZING number of choices advertisers have these days as to where they put their money.

Perk up. Maybe Sprint Nextel will take the money they would've spent on Imus and buy an ad in a newspaper instead.

3. Lugnuts

Two words, Boom: Tiger Woods.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He's still free to speak. So no he's not censored.

I'm a funny guy, no really, just ask me. I should have a radio show but nobody will give me one. Fuck, I'm being censored too!

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

For a national company like Sprint, a national newspaper ad would be worthless.

I think a full-page in NYT, USA TODAY is 10K.......

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

true, the advertisers aren't in business to expand anything but profits. Which is why Isaiah Washington has a job.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you think advertisers will start pulling money from BET and MTV given the new climate we are in.

8. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

he lost his job cuz of what he said. moral censorship. bottom line.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

heyabbott,

I understand your post, but Lugnuts is right: capitalism plays a big role in this debate. Period.

That said, I hope the market shifts its focus to the rap industry and guts it like a fish. It has done far more damage to African-Americans than Imus ever could have done.

I'd argue that Beyonce Knowles has done more damage to her race than Imus. Song after song about rotten black, freeloading men…all while her own father is her manager and she dates one of the richest men in the world.

And, as it stands, we have a guy about to own NBA basketball team whose biggest song is "Big Pimpin." We have a youth football league coach who lived the life of a pimp, summarily and routinely cheating on his wife, who was just sentenced to 800 community hours for felony gun charges - and gets to spend some of it coaching children. America has given rappers such a ridiculous pass. I hope the market begins to fight back.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't quite agree, although I see your point. Actually, I think the Masters folks simply did a good enough job of holding out to get its way by stopping sponsorship for a year. They had more committment to their position.

From a pure capitalist position, Imus would have made it if he'd went into a bunker mentality, stayed off all the shows, issued a simply-worded apology, and imposed a self-suspension, he'd still be around. His ego - I'm a good person! - finished him.

11. Lugnuts

I knew you'd know what I meant, Alma. ;) The point you've made is much more to the heart of the matter.

12. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

peace, alma.

Draft saved Draft deleted