1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Imus the standard for media self censorship?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Apr 13, 2007.

1. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

the advertisers are a bunch of cowards.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I want to throw fenen's name into the ring for new leader of the black community

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

... meanwhile, the duke accuser walks on in the eyes of the big media today.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How is he being censored? I'd love to have a radio show every morning that is syndicated nationwide, but nobody will put me on the air (mainly because advertisers aren't going to pay to sponsor my lame-ass show). Am I being censored?

5. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

lmao

6. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

if you lose your job because of what you said, you're censored.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Here's the thing with the advertisers.....

Let's say Imus is back on air Monday-

Staples, AMEX, GM, Nextel, and Proctor-Gamble go back on to advertise as well-

Al and Jesse start to picket these companies-

How much revenue will they really lose because of this? Not nearly as much as you think......

These companies make more money advertising on Imus than if they don't.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Are the advertisers "cowards," or are they making a financial decision?

I would argue most companies like Proctor and Gamble want to project a "wholesome" image and generally like to steer clear of controversy.

Sprint Nextel? I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of black people have cell phones. Does it make smart business sense for them to continue to advertise on Imus?

Just askin'.

Money, folks, money. That's what it's all about.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK. I misspoke a bit. But he still has the right to say anything he wants. He doesn't have a right to the expectation that anyone is going to put him on the air to do it. There are lots of people who would love to have radio shows and don't. My point was, do you consider that censorship?

This was purely an economic decision. You could lock him and Michael Richards in a studio together for five hours a day and have them scream nigger, and CBS would keep them on the air and pay them buckets of money if sponsors were lined up to pay for it. But in the course of a week, Imus went from a cash cow to an economic liability. And radio is a bottom-line business. He was as important to CBS as the money he made for them. It's not any more complicated than that.

He didn't lose his job because he "said something." He lost his job because he "said something that made advertisers flee." There is a huge difference. If you did something that made you a liability to your employer, you'd lose your job too. It wouldn't be because they want to "censor" you. It would be because they want to protect their bottom line.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

For as many people who don't like Imus, millions will hold Sprint, etc.....under the gun for pulling their ads.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How do you explain why national companies are still supporting the Masters?

Draft saved Draft deleted