1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Howie Mandel a terrorist? New fist pound thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 9, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    From Fox News journo E.D. Hill teasing an upcoming segment over the weekend..

HILL: A fist bump? A pound? A terrorist fist jab? The gesture everyone seems to interpret differently. We'll show you some interesting body communication and find out what it really says.

HILL: First, the president of America chest bumps an Air Force graduate. Next, Michelle and Barack Obama fist bump or fist pound -- people call it all sorts of things -- but what happened to the old pat on the back? A handshake? A hug? Today's body language and what we can glean from it. Janine Driver is a body language expert and joins us now. Janine, thanks for being back with us.

DRIVER: Hi, E.D. Nice to be here.

HILL: OK, tell me about this whole thing. Let's start with the Barack and Michelle Obama, because that's what most people are writing about -- this fist thump. Is that sort of a signal that young people get?

DRIVER: I'm sure it is, without a doubt. And it's a connection that they have together. It's something just personal between the two of them, like "I'm proud of you." You know, my husband and I, if we're walking down the street and he's proud of me, we have our own little method. He squeezes my hand three times, which means, "I love you," and I squeeze his four times, saying, "I love you, too." It's something intimate between them, but I'm sure young people in this country are going to kind of like them kind of representing a little bit.

HILL: Uh-huh. Has our communication style changed as a culture in America?

HILL: Will we have more of this nonverbal communication?

DRIVER: Absolutely, E.D. I mean, just even look in business women -- we're wearing suits today, pants suits. The generation from my mother's mother's era versus today -- it's always evolving and always changing, and that's just part of what we see. Obama -- it is kind of a hip gesture that they're making there with that little fist bump, and it's just a connection. It's something personal between them. You know, the mistake that a lot of body language experts make, E.D., is they say, "OK, arms are crossed, so it means you're bored and disinterested."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Am I missing any actual mention of a terrorist fist-jab aside from the intro and thread title?

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not that I saw.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fucking liberal media.

5. DanOregon

Nope, they never explained the intro..apparently the idea that it was a signal to terrorists arose from a blog comment on the Human Events website. Now that is crack research.

6. imjustagirl

Oh. See, I didn't get from your post that that was the point. I thought the point of including half the transcript was that it was explained.

Apparently I'm wrong.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

In other words, Dan, there is not point to this thread.

8. imjustagirl

BUT FOX NEWS SAID TERRORIST!!!

I mean, I get what he's saying now. But the first post would have helped me out if it had said "This was her intro, but it was never justified."

9. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

KY, is that a Maddox avatar I see?

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Calling RedSmithClone...

11. DanOregon

Hey, she apologized. And why do I get the impression it was some intern who wrote the tease?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mandel has severe OCD and is a germaphobe. That's why he fist bumps.

Draft saved Draft deleted