1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is having a girl on the wrestling team news anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ostentatious, Nov 18, 2007.

1. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

in the county just south of mine, there are two schools who have girls-only wrestling teams. they are trying to get the other schools in the league to do the same. only, some of the schools in my county — a kind of hoity-toity rich area — are having trouble even fielding full boys teams.

here's a question: i don't cover the county to the south, but the coaches from the girls wrestling teams down there have contacted me a few times about writing a story. they are not in the coverage area, but they are trying to spread girls wrestling into my coverage area, where most of the league's schools are. is this a story for me?

it might be some smaller part of a story that explains why half the teams in my county are skeleton crews. it might be interesting to explore the comparison as to why wrestling is so unpopular here, while it's booming enough in neighboring areas to support girls-only teams.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What about the matches? Were they fair game to harass the little boner?

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The second part is utter bullshit.

The first part is his morality, which has no business on the mat.

Oh, I forgot, both my girls wrestled. (Youth. One of them did part of a high school season) Sheesh. You think I would remember remember those things.

During one tournament, my older daughter was about to be pinned, reversed the kid and stuck him. At about the same time, the younger daughter lost -- to a girl.

;)

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Meat: I am really impressed. Nice job.

(Yes, and I understand about the weight, but back in our day, there were no limits)

Draft saved Draft deleted