1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is having a girl on the wrestling team news anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ostentatious, Nov 18, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I wouldn't go calling the guys who forfeit to her chickenshits without looking into it very closely, either.

Lots of coaches simply mandate that -- whatever you think of it.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They're chickenshits. (The coaches, as much or more as the wrestlers.)

If you don't think girls should be wrestling, go out there and plant them on the mat within about seven seconds. If that happens too much, they'll quit.

If you can't do it, well then, I guess you don't have much to stand on in the first place, do you?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

plant them on the mat? damn starman.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That is the *exact* year I did a story on the first girl ever to go out for a wrestling team in Connecticut.

In retrospect, she did it for the wrong reasons.

The young lady who became the first girl to place in a state tournament came along, and she was a great story. Nationally competitive in judo, and I think her brother may have won a state title.

I agree with the other comments. The fact that she's there is not news. If she had to fight to get there, maybe, but most school are smarter than that.

I would check on state records, to see if a girl has ever placed before, and I would follow that up if she qualifies for states.

Interesting point: A number of Division I colleges -- including University of Nebraska-Omaha and UMinn-Morris, have added women's wrestling as a scholarship sport to balance men's wrestling. And women's wrestling is an international sports.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

In "Boston Public," the heavy girl takes up wrestling -- I think the teachers wanted to increase her self-esteem -- and, if I remember correctly, either dies or accidentally kills her opponent during the match.

6. Old news here. Wisconsin actually had a girl w/in the last few years finish a career in which she went to the state tournament three times, and I want to say she finished 2nd her senior year.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

She died after winning the state title -- she was something like 375 pounds, so there's no way she would have been allowed to compete. I predicted she would actually die on top of the guy she was pinning, but she was brought back from the brink on the mat only to die in the hospital.

8. Mira

Mira Member

Nope. There are a few in the state of Wisconsin. And one who competed at state a couple years ago.

OK, somebody beat me to the punch.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I know one high school wrestling coach -- a guy who I respect very much -- who mandates forfeits. When I asked him about it, he said he did so because:

1. He didn't think it was sexually appropriate for boys that age to be wrestling girls that age.

2. He didn't want to be responsible for an injury.

You can think that's bullshit -- and I see your argument -- but I take him at his word.

10. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

hahaha good one...

Is she hot? that would be interesting.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i knolw a writer that asked a HS girl wrestler if she thought any opponents had groped her. i don't think the cat found the true humor in his question.

12. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Coached at JH level one season. My first kid to wrestle a girl pinned her rather easily but came off the mat with an erection. Felt bad for the kid. Took his teammates aside and told them if they made fun of him at practice there would be hell to pay.

Draft saved Draft deleted