1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is having a girl on the wrestling team news anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ostentatious, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow dude, what's up with the hostility?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"Good" is good. I'd say a .500 record -- depending on how many matches -- warrants some ink. If she dominates the area, then obviously she does. But I wouldn't worry about her if she's shitty. Try to judge her not by girls' standards, but by boys' standards. I've only written one story on a female wrestler, and she warranted the coverage.

3. ??? ??? ???

1fuckingA? That's not hostility, Tom. That's my vocabulary, as in "Hey editor, is my story running 1fuckingA today? Yes? FuckingA.

Shit, Tom, you know better than that.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on write, it's tom. you can admit it. you're under some stress, aren't you?

get that prescription of valium filled ... and send me a couple.

5. Will do.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If it's the first time in the coverage area, yes. If she's a good wrestler regardless of gender, then yes. If she's a dime a dozen wrestler, probably not.

Let's ask this question: Is a boy on the girls' field hockey team news?

Speaking of that subject, SI did a story on a boy who played on his high school field hockey team and had to wear a skirt to play. He didn't play much -- if at all his junior year and most of his senior year. His coach would go and ask opposing team coaches if they minded having a boy play against them. Even when the other team's coach said no, he wouldn't get a whiff of playing time.

By the last three games of his senior year, coach decided that the boy would play whether the other coaches had a problem with it or not. He actually was pretty good; he was able to make moves that the girls on the team couldn't at the time.

Wish I kept that story. I don't remember it word-for-word, but I remember pretty well how it went.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i prefer the 5mg tabs, not the white ones. ;)

8. forever_town

Why is that song "they're coming to take me away/ha ha, ho ho, he he/To the funny farm where life is good..." coming to mind right now?

Maybe I need to borrow a couple valiums from you guys. It'd help since I just put in a 10-hour day on a day I normally theoretically have off...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Kinda reminds me of the one Simpsons episode where Homer ends up coaching the youth football team. Lisa shows up and says "That's right! A GIRL on the team!" and Flanders replies something like, good. Take a number over there with the rest.

That said, one school I covered had two girls on the team like 15 years ago. After high school, one went on to play small college soccer, the other became a stripper.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If she's significantly over .500 -- in matches where she actually has to wrestle an opponent.

If she's 5-10 on the mat and 10-0 in forfeits, that's not good enough.

If a LOT of people are forfeiting to her, that's a good story too -- shine a light on the chickenshits.

11. forever_town

There's a punchline here ... somewhere...

12. Faithless

Faithless Member

It would be a story in these parts if a school had a wrestling team, period. The high schools that did have wrestling gave up their teams about 20 years ago - about the time the state association dropped wrestling as one of its sanctioned sports.

Forevertown, I also remember the boy field hockey player story in SI.

Draft saved Draft deleted