1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is great comedy easier than great drama?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Oscar nominations, and the recognition for Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy, beg this question. (Because I know how much some love the phrase "beg this question".)

Obviously in the past, the hoidy-toidy of film critics and executives don't tend to take comedy as seriously as drama. Some great comedic performances of the past have been ignored completely.

Is it fair? Is a great dramatic performance deeper, or indicative of more talent, than a great comedic performance?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

IMO absolutely not. And William Shakespeare is among those who agree with me.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The reverse is true.

Much easier to make 'em cry than make 'em laugh.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Larry the Cable Guy agrees

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've always felt that most comic actors can shift to drama but much fewer dramatic actors can do comedy. It's a different skill set and (from experience) much scarier. In a really good way.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

It depends on the person. I think Caddyshack is just the perfect comedy, I laugh at every scene and that is rare.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Comedy is hard.

The number of top-shelf GREAT comedies is so much smaller than the collection of great dramas. Not close.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sounds like people are making different points on this thread. Making a great comedy may be harder than making a great drama, but is it harder to be a great comedic actor than dramatic actor?

It seems like it's probably easier to PERFORM comedy. The laughs really come from the writing and delivery, not necessarily the believability of someone as a character.

Going to places in your emotional vault that people don't like to go to create a believable character such as a grieving widow, or someone who was abused as a child I think is infinitely harder delivering one-liners.

So basically, I guess I'm saying it's easier to write drama, but harder to perform it.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

judging from the crappy comedies that i saw last year (bridesmaids included), they must be more difficult than dramas

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

From experience, I'm going to respectfully disagree. Drama is carried much more by the writing in many ways. People bring their own drama to serious experiences. Comedy is like walking a tight rope ... you need to keep one foot in the silly and one in the real.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I thought Melissa McCarthy and "Bridesmaids" deserved the accolades it got today. Between this and her sitcom, I think McCarthy's had a hell of a year.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

She is on a sitcom?

Draft saved Draft deleted