1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Georgia In Play For Obama?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I have argued here for years how great Georgia is - how it's different from other Southern states.

Maps I've seen show it leaning McCain-- leaning.

But over the weekend I read there are 600,000 unregistered potential African American voters there.

Bloc black voters together with white Starbucks-drinking Democrats in the metro areas (and possibly white Appalachian Democrats in the northern part of the state), and is it enough?

If Obama cracks the deep South by winning Georgia... Whoa.

Can he do it?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He can, especially if Bob Barr siphons off enough votes from McCain. I don't see it happening, though.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.washtimes.com/news/2008/jun/04/barr-chiseling-mccain-voter-base/

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Both my parents, who live in Georgia, call themselves Libertarians...

...And are well aware of what an idiot Bob Barr is.

I'm afraid that will be the case for a lot of Georgians.

I'm still thinking of the 600,000 unregistered.

Does anyone doubt Obama can get to most of those folks and register them?

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

That's interesting. I'm waiting for an evangelical third/fourth party candidate to emerge, as well. Especially if McCain nominates Crist.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Even with Barr in play, McCain's current advantage appears beyond the margin for error.

If BO won Georgia, he'd be a stone lock. As things stand, he can win, without it.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If Barr grabs 8 percent of the McCain vote, then Georgia could very well be in play.
    At the very least it will make McCain work to win there.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Crist has the personality of three-weeks-old Chinese food.

There also have been well-circulated rumors that he's gay. Before I get jumped on for that, it's something pretty openly discussed in Tally.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No way in hell does Obama win Georgia.

If the entire state was like Atlanta, he'd probably win, but as most of us know there is a pretty big difference between Atlanta and Athens and the rest of the state.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The rumors have been hinted at before. Doesn't help he's a single bachelor. Along with Crist's wishy washiness toward abortion, he'd definitely fire up the blood of many an evangelical.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Furthermore, I'd like to know where this large cache of Starbucks-drinking Democrats in metro ATL exists. Because outside of central and southern Fulton, DeKalb and Clayton counties (i.e., majority minority areas) Atlanta is ringed by heavily Republican (but still Starbucks-loving) voters. And Obama will be lucky to pull 20% of the vote from the mountain counties.

Oh and outside of Atlanta, Georgia is different from the rest of the South. It's not nearly as good.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

What if Jindal is the VP for McCain? Young guy, popular, southern? Does that help?

Draft saved Draft deleted