1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Gary Sheffield a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Thome will likely retire with a career OBP over .400 and 600 HR. If he isn't a no-doubter, he's certainly a very-little-doubter.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Read stories about Allen threatening to quit teams, demand trades and fight with teammates and there is the answer.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm ? ing the idea that a player who was as obviously productive as Sheffield somehow "rarely did anything to help his team in."

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's about more than spreadsheet numbers.

5. RickStain

Really? How do they decide who won the game? Do they ask which team feels the happiest?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

7. 93Devil

When you watch a game, you notice things that are not in the boxscore.

This argument has been covered 1,000 times in the last two years on this board.

8. RickStain

No. There is nuance here, but an educated adult can understand it. The following two statements are different:

1) There are things a player can do that don't show up in the box score that help the team win.

2) The things that show up in a box score don't help the team win.

"When you watch a game, you notice things that are not in the box score" is relevant to statement No. 1, but it says nothing about statement No. 2.

A poster who claims Gary Sheffield "rarely did anything to help his team win" is implicitly advocating the second statement, because Sheffield did a shit-ton of things that showed up in the box score.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Parse is any way you Rick. Bottom line is Gary Sheffield is not a Hall of Famer

BitterYoungMatador2 and old_tony like this.
  10. RickStain

I already said I wouldn't put him in.

11. 93Devil

Please don't talk down to me unless more than three different universities consider you an alumnus. I have a very, very good understanding of figures and their importance. In fact, its so good I understand their limits.

It was a broad statement, but it is tiring to try and break everything down to a numeric value in baseball.

12. RickStain

I'm not questioning your ability to understand numbers of their significance. I'm questioning your critical thinking skills and ability to understand the English language.

You could produce an advanced degree each from each of the Ivy League schools, but you still aren't understanding the difference between "Only statistics matter" and "Statistics matter."

If you want to say there are all kinds of non-statistical considerations that should be considered in Sheffield's value, go nuts. That's not what was being questioned.

Draft saved Draft deleted