1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Gary Sheffield a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 17, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. Hell no.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I think back to his trade from the Padres to the Marlins that began the infamous (for SD fans) fire sale, and have one observation in retrospect: If someone had told you that day that one of the players involved in that trade would make the Hall of Fame someday and that player wouldn't be Sheffield, you would have told him he was nuts.

As it is, Trevor Hoffman, who the Pads got in that deal, has a real good shot.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

That is a great point.

Maybe one of the guys the Padres got in the Gonzalez trade will end up being a HOF-caliber player. Jury on that one will be out for awhile.

And speaking of the fire sale...this new ownership group reminds me a lot of Tom Werner and his motley crew. Jeff Moorad on Padres.com last week telling me I should be excited about Brad Hawpe at first base? Come on, man.

And as a nice little side note: How cruelly ironic is it that Werner is now the principal owner of the Red Sox, and now doesn't mind spending money?

Thanks for nothing, Tom.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I remember it was a running joke when he was with the Braves that Fredi Gonzalez kept moving further and further down the line at third base to avoid being smacked by a Sheffield line drive. He'd usually wind up a fair way down the left-field line.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To be fair, there is a fairly big difference between the revenue the Red Sox bring in and what the Padres get.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

But Sheffield is 13th all-time in win probability added and 30th in adjusted batting wins. That is a HOFer if i ever saw a stat line on.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The other thing he'll have working against him is nobody will be pulling to get him in.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Would it be fair to say that Sheffield is the Dick Allen of his generation? Or did Joey "Albert" Belle already claim that spot?

I could make an argument for either as the blessedly talent, moody, self-absorbed star who rarely did anything to help his teams win.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Don't you mean only guy?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard longtime baseball writers say that Belle was the most difficult player to deal with ever. Did anyone here cover him?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So you don't like him then....

Draft saved Draft deleted