1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Gary Sheffield a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 17, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) Juiced. If that is still a disqualifier for voters, nope, not a Hall of Famer.

2) Anyone arguing that Sheffield belongs, will have to agree Jim Thome does. I want to see that.

3) Come to think of it, if Sheffield belongs, then Fred McGriff does also.

4) Very importantly to me: The guy admitted purposely making errors in the 90s, because he didn't want to play in Milwaukee. I know there is already precedent for letting guys like that in (see Henderson, Rickey), but Sheffield doesn't have the same kind of talent.

EDIT: I should have added that when he actually wanted to play and was trying and not being a pain in the ass to everyone around him, I loved the way Sheffield hit. His swing was controlled violence and he hit the ball harder than anyone I can remember in my lifetime. Still not a Hall of Famer in my estimation.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think it should be pretty clear that on career resume, Thome > Sheffield > McGriff. They are all similar players, but the demarcation looks pretty obvious to me.

I'd probably draw the HOF line between Thome and Sheffield, though.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I agree.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I think some would argue that Thome is a Hall of Famer.

I don't think many people would argue in favor of Sheffield.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that Thome makes it in and Sheffield does not.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mizzou is right, and Sheffield will be screeching about racism after Thome glides in, but neither should be in.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yes, he's an asshole.

I don't think I understand the rules.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I think Sheffield gets the Albert Belle treatment (last guy to have 50 hrs and 50 2bs in a season).

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

this.

man, was he fun to watch as a hitter. incredible bat speed. despite violence he unleashed with every swing he also made extraordinary contact for a power man.

not an hof'er. but at the top of the list of near-misses.

full disclosure: i covered sheffield in the 1980 LL world series when he was 11. that team was so crazy-loaded sheffield wasn't among their top 5 hitters. i believe that tampa team returned to the LL world series the following year, with sheffield as its superstar. i could be wrong but he may have been the first -- and perhaps remains the only-- kid to play in consecutive LL world series.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Didn't Sean Burroughs go back-to-back in the mid 90s?

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I remember those teams. Back then, crazy to think they qualified in consecutive years (single elimination tournament).

What sticks in my mind is that Sheffield had a couple of great years with the Brewers, Padres and Marlins, yet when the Marlins won it, Sheffield was on a down year and they won in spite of him. He somehow (HGH??) became more consistent with the Braves/Yankees years. Had he put that consistency early on, then yes. But in the end, IMHO no.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think if you put another name with his career numbers, he'd have a great shot at getting in. He had a HOF career. Alas, too much baggage.

Draft saved Draft deleted