1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Gary Sheffield a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sheffield is another player who had a terrible reputation with the media, but was always pleasant when I dealt with him. (Probably five times...)

I believe the stories. I just was lucky in my dealings with him.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Funny thing, Mizzou, that was my experience, too. I think some jocks are more civil to strangers in the media than they are to the reporters they see all the time.
    PS: Not a Hall of Famer, though a damn good hitter.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hey Mizzou, he could be charming. But like Bonds, he could also switch into asshole mode quicker than Grant went through Richmond.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mike, he was a good hitter but I always expected him to put up better numbers. I think he always felt that he was like hired help.

5. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Sheffield's name is too closely linked with the juice. No way he gets close for a long time, if ever.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No MVPs No GoldGloves, 1 Batting title (1 other top 5 finish), didn't lead the league in anything.

Hall of Very Good, at best.

Not until Raffy gets in ;)

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They don't make mouth kids like they used to.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Would that be the brief period between his arrest with Uncle Dwight and his episode of throwing games while in the employ of Uncle Bud?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, I guess that would be the period. The mind gets a little foggy as time goes you know.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yeah, that massive resurgence in his age 31 season is a real marvel. And then another one in his age 34 season. Stupefying the guy had his best years between 1999 and 2005.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I will say, though, that when he was with the Yanks, he crushed at least one pitch, fair or foul, every at bat.

He was fun to watch hit.

But, still, no.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He's the one guy I probably would have feared most as a pitcher. Bonds was way more likely to take you out of the park, but Sheffield was the one more likely to take off your head. He had so much violence in that swing.

Draft saved Draft deleted