1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Gannett really that bad?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jdeclute47, Jul 26, 2008.

1. jdeclute47

jdeclute47 New Member

Currently working at a non-Gannett paper, seemingly stable job (but who knows right now?) and somewhat happy with things.

There are a few listings at Gannett papers in communities 30-40 miles in either direction that would about double the circulation I'm currently at. Would seem to be a step up on the career ladder without having to uproot my family.

So, without getting into any more specifics, would going from a non-Gannett paper to Gannett paper about double the size generally result in more money? If so, is it worth it? Or is Gannett really just that bad?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hounds, meet thread. Thread, meet hounds.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

If nothing else, Gannett is stable. I will say that.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends on how big your paper is.
    5k to 10, probably not... 35 to 70K, maybe so.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

is your sister really a whore?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There's a meeting every 15 minutes and it takes an act of congress just to get a fucking legal pad from the supply closet.

At least, that was my experience.

7. They pay relatively well. You'll just hate every minute of it. Enjoy.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Never worked there, but Gannett employees tell me they micromanage the product from the home office worse than just about any other chain.

No photos bigger than a certain size, at least X headlines on every front, plus tons of "diversity" initiatives like forcing you to interview fans so you can have an African-American voice in the paper.

9. And unless you get onto one of the handful of papers who are allowed to ignore most of the corporate rules, you will do just a bunch of crap stories. Oh, and video now. And none of it will mean anything to anybody.

10. My first stop was a gannett shop of about 150K. I was part-time, still in school, and I worked 25 hours a week.

It was the worst experience of my life, and I hope to the heavens that I'll never have to work at a gannett stop again

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so well written, i feel as though i experienced it ... sonsabitches.

12. The night before I started my current job, I had a nightmare that they were bought out by Gannett. One of the scariest dreams I ever had.

Draft saved Draft deleted