1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Federer's Crown Slipping?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Mar 3, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Lost today in the first round of the Dubai Desert Open to Andy Murray, 6-7, 6-3, 6-4.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3274752

The last tournament he played was the Australian Open. Is this just a long hangover after coming back from injury, something more significant, or will everything be well in the world by the time Wimbledon rolls around?

Edit: To make sure everyone knows which Roger we're talking about here.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When was the last time Tiger won the Byron Nelson or the Colonial?

With the Rog Mahal, it's all about majors.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Last time I checked, we haven't had a major yet this golf season, yet Tiger's won all three of his tournaments.

My point is, though, that before, he would sweep through games like this. Now, Murray is the world No.11, and has knocked off Federer before, but the question is whether the younger players like Murray, Djokovic, Nadal et al. are catching up, or whether Federer is coming back to the pack.

Murray didn't face a break point the entire match. That's not the Federer that has been dominating the ATP Tour the last four years.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Roger was going to start slipping. At some point there has to be some sort of deviation back toward the mean (look, big statistics words!) on his part and the younger guys (Nadal, Djokovic) were going to start catching up to him.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But is this more to do with his layoff, or that they're catching him. Or do we have to wait until the middle of the season to find out?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think it's a bit of both. In the Aussie Open, he was still battling some sort of stomach thing, and Djokivic is catching up to him.

Having a layoff that's close to a month long and then drawing a tough opponent in the first round is probably a recipe for disaster.

And I think we'll have to wait until the French to see if this is really a trend on his part or just a hiccup.

And whoever said Rog was all about the majors was wrong. He didn't even lose 10 matches last year. That's not the record of somebody who cares only about the big ones.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It's inarguable he has begun the descent from his prime.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Hey Nostradamus, do you know lottery numbers, too?

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You wanna bet me he never has a year like last year?

Put your money up, or zip the cakehole.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Why would I bet someone who knows the future?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Federer might have said it best when he lost to Djokovic in Australia:

"I've created this monster that I have to win every tournament."

I think that's beginning to take its toll. Others are catching up but maybe the monster Roger created is starting to wear him out.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Roger is what 26 now? In the tennis life that's pretty old. Sampras was done by 30, as are most of the greats. The prime years in that sport are 19 to 25. Roger can still get the slam record but I wouldn't expect the same dominance he had in 2005 and 2006

Draft saved Draft deleted