1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Facebook doomed? (Alternatively: Is social networking, in general, doomed?)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 4, 2013.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

When it was cool (the last year or so of my college life), you could see pics from parties, football games, etc. or stalk girls you met at parties, football games or class.

After college, it was kinda cool because you could stay in touch with the friends from those parties, football games, etc. or stalk the girls that would never sleep with you in college.

After about the age of 25, it was only slightly cool (for some people) because they could announce their engagement or pregnancy to everyone in one post.

Shortly after that, it ceased being cool.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also annoying...the women who promote their Etsy store/mom side gig at every opportunity.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hey - mom's side gig ain't gonna promote itself. ;D

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I just reread my post and it sounded misogynistic. Men are no stranger to talking about their jobs/products on Facebook. I've seen plenty of articles from a certain newspaper posted on the Facebook page of a certain moderator of this site. :) But at least on my feed, it's mostly women who are promoting their handbag designs/recipe blog/mommy blog to the point of nausea.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, but newspapers, especially sports sections, are awesome. All that other stuff sucks. :D

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Zuckerberg faces angry share holders:

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2412215

This is going to be, as it plays out, one of the defining business stories of the first half of this century.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Someone said today that Facebook is getting link-driven hashtags soon.

#woofuckinghoo

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

'Facebook's advertising is starting to spin out of control'

A common question asked of Facebook is whether it will be around five years from now, ten years from now, and so on. Though it’s seemingly a staple of life these days, the internet is fickle, and what once was popular can fall out of favor just as quickly. And Facebook appears to be trying its hardest to make that happen. . . .

Facebook is starting to feel like it’s adopted ads as its primary purpose, losing functionality as a welcoming social network in the process.

It’s simply a turn off to arrive on the landing page of a supposedly “social” site and see a screen that’s anywhere from 60% to 100% ads. Facebook needs to do some soul searching and figure out whether it needs to be serving the needs of its million advertisers or its billion users first.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/07/01/facebooks-advertising-is-starting-to-spiral-out-of-control/

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I erased the Facebook ap from my phone and iPads Wednesday. It became political in the sense that Lord of the Flies is political.
    I blame trump. He’s jealous that a Jew from Harvard made more before he was 30 than he’s made in 50 years.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I erased the app because it took a ton of memory (and my phone ain't got all that much). Wasn't worth it just to save a couple of clicks to get on.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I really wonder how FB is going to identify and trim fake news.

I've already found buttons for users to mark something fake. That sounds like the wrong way to do this. Public squelching of ideas. Sounds like a campus. Berkeley.

Draft saved Draft deleted