1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Facebook doomed? (Alternatively: Is social networking, in general, doomed?)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

This principle largely drives our modern economy. It's a terrifying thought.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was pulled into Facebook in 2009 when we were setting everything up for our 20th high school reunion. That's where all the info was passed. I'd say the last think I intentionally posted there was 2010. I look at it about once every 3-4 months just to make sure I've not been hacked or something. I never read the news feed or whatever. I laugh when I see someone has sent me a message that is two months old.

I got on Twitter a little more than a year ago and love it. I think it will be around for a very long time. Even if individuals no longer use it regularly, I think organizations will because of the ease of breaking news/making announcements/etc. to the masses.

I just heard of Vine today from my 16-year-old niece. Snap chat, Instagram, whatever else, I can't see as where I need them. Aren't all of these things just the same thing in different packaging?

I was recently forced to set up a Linkedin account for a class I am taking, and as soon as it's finished that thing is nuked. I'm really about to do the same with the Facebook account. I don't want all that crap.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

When does sj go public?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And what is the precise time we should sell for maximum profits?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The site has effectively turned into a live updating scrapbook for people's kids.
    I don't know when this happened, but for people of a certain vintage, that is the case.
    I have no objection to seeing how a friend's child develops.
    But every damn day is too much. It is simply not that interesting.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'll sell short.

7. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

When I was still a reporter, I would sign up on various sites just so I could exert some control. It was not unusual for some random asshole with an ax to grind to sign up under a reporter's name and spew bullshit.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Don't forget food pics.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And cat pics. Stoopid cat pics.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And Earth-shattering infomation like "OMG Panera Bread's cheese soup is sooooooooooo good."

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I signed up in 2009, and as far as I can remember it has always been:

1. Here is my kid.
    2. Here is where I was today.
    3. Here is our vacation.
    4. Here is something I did or created or my wife or kid did or created.

What was on there when it was cool?

Because if it really was just college-age kids doing silly college stuff, that holds no more appeal to me, either.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There is the complaint it's become a link dump.
    I am more apt to open somebody's video/news links than pics of junior's arts & crafts camp.

Draft saved Draft deleted