1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Facebook doomed? (Alternatively: Is social networking, in general, doomed?)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Facebook, like AOL before it, is now trying to be all things to all people. That clutters up the content and crowds people out. They look for something fresh and simple.

Facebook ain't fresh and simple anymore. I'd settle for simple, but that horse is out of the barn. More people are dug in there, though, so maybe it will survive and evolve.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

But that's not different from any other industry. And people who "put together" social networks, they see (or at least sell) an audience that they believe can be converted into hefty IPO hauls.

3. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

Facebook is my contact book. I use it for messages more than I use my email app. Instead of wondering if people have changed their email address or phone number, they'll always be on the same FB account unless they nuke it.

Otherwise, I have no use for it. My newsfeed is nothing but ads since I turned off seeing posts, which were nothing but people like fucking memes from spam accounts. It's just clutter.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Facebook is dead.

My nephew had been itching to join Facebook for a couple of years.

A month or so ago he turned 14 and his parents finally gave the OK.

He has 15 FB friends. Every single one is a relative.

It's not that he doesn't have friends -- he has plenty. But they don't hang out on FB.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Our two teenagers are the same with Facebook. It's dead to them.

They are on Twitter but are not heavy tweeters. Mostly scan and post occasionally. SnapChat and Instagram are huge for them. Vine is getting their attention.

A five or six weeks ago one of our local TV stations teased "Have you heard about the latest social media thing, SnapChat?" Our kids laughed. They've been using it almost since it started.

I mention Facebook and they just roll their eyes like they do when I mention newspapers. Both to them are something for Old People, old being middle-aged parents and grandparents.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If college girls aren't posting drunk party photos and spring break bikini shots anymore, then what's the point?

Seriously though, Facebook sorta became a chore. You like one friend's picture or status and then people wonder why you don't do the same for them. It's easier to ignore everything.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Easier still to never sign up in the first place.

My relatives have pestered me to sign up so they can keep up with me. Um, that is exactly why i WON'T sign up.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I signed up relatively early, back when you still had to use a college email address. It didn't seem like a big deal and maybe a decent way to stay connected to college and high school friends and acquaintances. By the time I got to the point I felt like getting rid of the account, I pretty much had to have one for work.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

Word.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

It seems like every five years there is a new "cool" fad.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's the Star-Bellied Sneetches, circa 21st century. Rince, repeat.

"We're a part of this cool new site!"

"Oh, you found it, too?"

"Well, fuck that, then.''

[​IMG]

"Hey, we're a part of ANOTHER cool new site!"

Draft saved Draft deleted